How long from Internal pip to External Pip??? (Quail)

Hello Community! Yesterday, I saw some small "lifting" of the shell (like a pip) but it hadn't broken the membrane or very much of the shell. I simply assumed that the chick inside had made their internal pip and pushed hard on the inner wall of the shell. A few eggs have this, I think. Its day 18 of their incubation... and I am so so ready for them to hatch. So how long does it take them from internal pip to making an external pip? If I can't see any external pips this morning does that mean they will likely hatch tmrw? This is my first hatch so I am very new at this. Advise is welcomed with open arms. :wee
Does anyone know what this "lifting" actually means? Is it an internal pip? Or is it an attempt at an external pip and they are struggling...

This is both internally pipped in to the air cell (light area insidec the egg) and externally pipped...the crack in the shell.
Can you candle a few eggs and see what you see?
OH! I am an idiot. I don't know why but I assumed the external pip would have to be some sort of hole. No, I see now. The "lifting" I was describing is that crack in the video. I guess some of them are pipped now? I will try to send a video. Give me a few moments.
@Kiki

Last edited:
With what I have said... could any experienced person give me an estimate of what I should wait for? Is it 24 hours after the first external pip to hatching? What if I haven't heard any chirping or seen rocking??
Edit: I'm not trying to be annoying... Im just over excited :D :D
Quail aren't very vocal while hatching, or at least mine never are. Don't worry. They've got it. Quail take their good sweet time.

Thanks for the photos @MGG!! And yes. They have externally pipped like in @Kiki's video! The one pipped almost 24 hours ago so..... Maybe I can hope for some action today!!
The NR has been AMAZING. It turned them well and even though I had to add cardboard and tape (as said before... I was sent 30 eggs for that poor 22 egg incubator) and it handled it all fine. The hygrometer and thermometer have been accurate (as far as I know)! I am so grateful for all the help and advise I got about choosing an incubator.
I put in the drawer liner on day 15 and after throwing away 5 dead eggs (they seem to have quit on day 2 or 3), they have been in lockdown ever since.
Like I said, If I hold them up to my ear then I can hear scratching. Still no movement or sounds though.
I am so thrilled for this process to begin.
I'll update this once they have begun hatching!!!
Sounds good! I'm so glad the NR is working well.

Back
Top Bottom