How long have you been keeping Chickens?

How many years have you been around or keeping Chickens?

• All My Life

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 40+ years

• 30+ years

• 20+ years

• 10+ years

• 5+ years

• 2 to 5 years

• This is my first year and loving it!

• Total voters

southerndesert

B & M Chicken Ranch
8 Years
Jun 17, 2011
Morristown, AZ
Just curious as there are so many members of this forum and just thought it would be interesting how many combined years of experience dwell here....
cool.png
So how long for you and how has it changed you and your lifestyle?

Last edited:
I picked up my first feed store chicks on October 1, 2009. Keeping chickens has SO changed my life! Most days, I know it's for the better... some days, it's tough when something dies. However, that's rare - thank goodness!

I am happier. I laugh much more frequently. My heart swells when watching a momma hen with chicks. I am absolutely thrilled when *I* incubate eggs and successfully hatch some chicks.

My physician has lowered my hypertension medication dosage since I started keeping chickens, which I think is wonderful.

Truthfully, I never, ever, EVER thought I would get as attached to my chickens as I am now. And it started almost immediately. I didn't know each chicken has its own personality. With a flock of 60+ chickens, some ducks and a pair of geese, there are a whole lot of feathered personalities roaming around my property! (In addition to the cat and two dogs.)

I talk to the chickens all the time and many of them hold incomprehensible discussions with me. Here I'm saying, "Hey, sweetie, how are you today? You've got a feather sideways, did you know that?" And the hen in question goes, "Bok? Bok bok bok. Bok. Bok bok." If I'm busy, somebody will peck lightly at my legs to get my attention. One of my hens follows me around, gossiping about the rest of the flock. I KNOW that's what she's doing.

And the roosters - what handsome and quirky boys those are! I can tell which rooster is crowing just by hearing his voice; how many syllables and which doodle-doos are emphasized over others.

I will never be without chickens. They're that important a part of my life now.

Quote:
That is why I asked and I too think having chickens does allot for me and family as it gives grampa something to do with both children and grand children (guess who grandpa is) anyway enjoyed you answer and agree..... For me I actually enjoy the chores that come with keeping a clean environment and tending them twice daily, gives me time to sort out my thoughts
old.gif
The eggs are an added bonus as is the meat.....

I honestly never knew how many people still keep chickens even in the big cities until joining this forum and that so many are kept mainly as pets was also a surprise since they are kept as livestock to produce eggs and or meat here. We always have favorites the kids and grandkids cuddle and hold though....

Edit to add some info...

Last edited:
Quote:
20+ years. It hasn't changed anything, other than the eggs are relatively cheaper and I get meat relatively cheaper. Other than that they're just chickens and nothing more than a food source.

I just got my first chickens in April this year. My dad had just died a couple weeks before. It had been so stressful for me, dealing with his last painful and frightening days, and trying to be a rock to my frail elderly mother. I had been reading up on keeping chickens for several months, but was not physically prepared for them. A trip to the feed store was all it took! That's just what I needed to get me past the last few horrible months, and greet spring with hope. I bought 6 assorted chicks, and the adventure began. I only hope I remain as enthusiastic about them this winter, when I have to slog through snow and ice to get to the chicken yard. I love them and love the idea of getting a gift of eggs daily. Keeping critters is great for the human spirit, I think.

Last edited:
Have had chickens forever. My mom had birds. My grandmother had birds, on and on. You get the idea.
Some have been favorites, but for the most part they are just livestock.

Quote:
20+ years. It hasn't changed anything, other than the eggs are relatively cheaper and I get meat relatively cheaper. Other than that they're just chickens and nothing more than a food source.

Ditto, eggs, meat, fertilizer, & bug patrol/control. Last few years also as fall/winter garden cleanup crew.

I talk to the chickens all the time and many of them hold incomprehensible discussions with me. Here I'm saying, "Hey, sweetie, how are you today? You've got a feather sideways, did you know that?" And the hen in question goes, "Bok? Bok bok bok. Bok. Bok bok." If I'm busy, somebody will peck lightly at my legs to get my attention. One of my hens follows me around, gossiping about the rest of the flock. I KNOW that's what she's doing.

x2! I've got two bossy busybodies who are into my business all the time
lau.gif
This is our 1st year raising chickens and we love it!

off and on all my life growing up we all had chickens country life, still when ever my aunt and uncles had baby chicks they always brought me one,i raised them in my room, played with them they would follow me around like i was there mama, im fifty years old now and i love them just as mutch as i did then,

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom