How Long Have You Been Raising Chickens? - OLD

How Long Have You Been Raising Chickens?

• Under 6 Months

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6 Months - 1 Year

• 1 Year

• 2 Years

• 3 Years

• 4 Years

• 5 Years

• 6 Years

• 7 Years

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • 8 Years

• 9 Years

• 10 Years

• 11 - 15 Years

• 15 - 20 Years

• Over 20 Years

• No chickens yet, but hopefully soon!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been "clucking" around with chickens for about 6 years now....this spring I also managed to incubate and hatch 3 peafowl! I am rather proud of this accomplishment...(I started out with 9 eggs I won on e-bay!!) I'm not sure what sexes they are yet, but they sure are good looking birds! In or chicken flock we have, lavender aracauna, silver spangled hamburg, brown leghorn, white leghorn, austrolop, cornish, and some cool roosters....1 polish, 1 silkie (I hatched) and 1 brown leghorn!

This has been the best experience I have had in a long time. I have wanted chickens for a long time. I finally got six chicks this spring. I named them of course! I have Ellie Mae, Granny, Ginger, Maryann, Wednesday, and Mortisha. My family laughed at me when I named them but now they have changed their minds. They ask me all the time how the girls are doing. My husband and I take our drinks and lawn chairs down to the coop. I let the girls out to roam around for awhile. We sit there and just watch them. It is funny watching them run around, flap their wings, and scratch up the yard. We have never laughed so much. Some people say chickens aren't smart, let me tell you that is so not true. Wednesday tries to sneak out of the coop every chance she gets. Granny has to inspect everything we are doing. I love gathering the eggs and taking care of the girls. Since my children are grown and out of the house, I guess I had to fill the empty nest with some thing. Chickens Rock!!!!!

I've had my kids around a year now and I couldn't be happier. They still don't have an official coop so they are still sharing my hubby's shop hopefully this spring their new home will be finished it's just needs a roof.

I am a total newb! I have had my chicks 5 days now and this is my first experience.
fl.gif

Hi,
I have 8 hens, they are 1 year old as of 10/17/11. They are beautiful and very sweet, they are my pets.
They give me beautiful brown eggs. One of them the speckled suxxex is molting, she looks weird, I am hoping
she will get her feathers back soon.
this is my first time with chickens so I have a lot to learn.

I have 2 Rhode Island reds, 2 Plymouth Rock, 3 golden Wyandottes, 1 speckled sussex.

mgardenangel

We had two, I believe they were Arauconda or a mix, about 25 years ago and enjoyed them very much. They laid small pale blue or green eggs. They made great pets. Since then we've moved and I'm trying to find out what the town's restrictions are for backyard fowl. Off to the town hall I guess.

Hej everyone

I've had my 4 girls (wyandottir) since April. They have been ill since July - passing blood diarrea.I've tried everything. Medicine for cocci. Sent a sample of their poo to an expert vet. He put them on a peniciilin cure and porridge oats for 10 days (shut in their henhouse) First week everything ok - then blood again. They don't appear ill in anyway. The eat etc. and look fine - have molted. So now I'm in that terrible situation of do I have them put down?? I've grown so fond of them even though I've hardly had any eggs due to molt and illness. The vet said if they don't appear sick, then leave them alone. I'm enclined to think it is cruel to just leave them as they are even though they don't "act" ill. Does anyone have a similar experience???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom