How long have your heat lamp bulbs lasted?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Peppermint, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Peppermint

Peppermint Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm paranoid my brooder bulb is going to burn out in the middle of the night and the chicks will get too cold and die...
    This is my second batch of chicks, so the bulb has been used for a solid 6 weeks last year. How long have your bulbs lasted on average? I've got a second one ready as backup.

Thanks!

2. catchthewind

catchthewind Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Vancouver Island
    We had one that only lasted a month, and was only used 24/7 for a week or two and then overnight only for another week or two. It burned out the day I put it over day old chicks! Luckily during the day. I brought it back to the pet store where I got it and she told me they should last a lot longer than that, and they exchanged it free for another.

3. CityChick15

CityChick15 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    Peppermint,
    I love your thumbnail pic, is that lovely chicken yours? If so, what kind??
    Good luck with your brooder!

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I always run two and even three bulbs. This way, I can "set" the temperature by merely how many bulbs I have on/off.

Instead of one 250wt bulb, having two 125wt bulbs means that even if one burned out, the other would allow for survival until the next Chick Check rounds.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. madmantrapper

madmantrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Maryland
    I am on the third year on the same bulb (250 watt red).

6. Cackling Hen

Cackling Hen Just Scratching Around

Apr 21, 2009
    Port Angeles Wa
    Quote:me too

7. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I've had one burn out in less than a week and one in a month.

8. Karrie13

Karrie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    I have put heat lamp bulbs through several batches of chicks and havn't had one go out yet! Instead I end up breaking it. [​IMG]

9. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    My 250 watt red is being used for its third time. I just put my day olds in the brooder today. But I do have a backup 150 watt clear heat bulb. So total use on the 250 is 6 months 24/7 and still going strong.

10. cackydoodledoo

cackydoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Crazyville, USA
    So glad you asked this question because I was wondering the same thing! I am so paraniod about it especially since our weather decided to turn nasty the same day I got chicks!!!! I like the two or three bulb system. Gonna do that I think until EcoGlow arrives!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by