How long have your heat lamp bulbs lasted?

Peppermint

Songster
9 Years
May 25, 2010
Woodinville, Washington
I'm paranoid my brooder bulb is going to burn out in the middle of the night and the chicks will get too cold and die...
This is my second batch of chicks, so the bulb has been used for a solid 6 weeks last year. How long have your bulbs lasted on average? I've got a second one ready as backup.

Thanks!

We had one that only lasted a month, and was only used 24/7 for a week or two and then overnight only for another week or two. It burned out the day I put it over day old chicks! Luckily during the day. I brought it back to the pet store where I got it and she told me they should last a lot longer than that, and they exchanged it free for another.

Peppermint,
I love your thumbnail pic, is that lovely chicken yours? If so, what kind??
Good luck with your brooder!

I always run two and even three bulbs. This way, I can "set" the temperature by merely how many bulbs I have on/off.

Instead of one 250wt bulb, having two 125wt bulbs means that even if one burned out, the other would allow for survival until the next Chick Check rounds.
smile.png

69833_dscf3095.jpg

I have put heat lamp bulbs through several batches of chicks and havn't had one go out yet! Instead I end up breaking it.
roll.png

My 250 watt red is being used for its third time. I just put my day olds in the brooder today. But I do have a backup 150 watt clear heat bulb. So total use on the 250 is 6 months 24/7 and still going strong.

So glad you asked this question because I was wondering the same thing! I am so paraniod about it especially since our weather decided to turn nasty the same day I got chicks!!!! I like the two or three bulb system. Gonna do that I think until EcoGlow arrives!!!!

Back
Top Bottom