How long is the longest time you have/had a rooster flock?

chooki

Amateur chook psychiatrist
9 Years
May 14, 2014
Sydney, Australia
I have 5 cockerels, they have been raised together from day old. They now live in 1 large coop together on our farm (girls are at suburban home).

They fought before, to the point that I had to separate the two parties because they had blood all over their combs and beaks. The thing is that, when left along on the farm, often unattended 2-3 days at a time (with plenty of feed and water), they get along fine.

Here is a video of them dust bathing together today:

What is the longest time period you have/had a rooster flock? What were the problems you faced? My birds are 6 months old and have only been on the farm for 2 months on average. I would like to know the possible challenges to keep a rooster flock in the long run.

I've had my current rooster flock for about a year now. I'm actually planning to butcher tomorrow. I've had a couple different rooster flocks before this one and each flock did pretty well with each other. They each went through a faze of fighting all the time to the point were I had to separate a couple. One time it lasted for a month and with my current flock it lasted for about 2 days. The younger ones are scared of the 2 head roosters, and the head roosters will chase them around and jump at them when they can. The under dogs sometimes jump and peck at each other, but all in all they get along pretty good. I raised all of them together since chicks also. It may be up to your specific birds, but mine have gotten along pretty well.

Update on my rooster flock: currently there is one cockerel (the barnevelder) who is constantly trying to show dominance by leaning his shoulder towards me while I feed them. I would quickly extended my arms to catch him, then pet him to my heart's content. He would scream in terror and try to ran away. It was hilarious. No harm was done to the cockerel, but he needs to be reminded who is the boss.

The rest of my rooster flock are pretty obedient so far.

Last edited:
I have 5 cockerels, they have been raised together from day old. They now live in 1 large coop together on our farm (girls are at suburban home).

They fought before, to the point that I had to separate the two parties because they had blood all over their combs and beaks. The thing is that, when left along on the farm, often unattended 2-3 days at a time (with plenty of feed and water), they get along fine.

Here is a video of them dust bathing together today:

What is the longest time period you have/had a rooster flock? What were the problems you faced? My birds are 6 months old and have only been on the farm for 2 months on average. I would like to know the possible challenges to keep a rooster flock in the long run.
Most of the last 40 years. Somewhere around 25 years ago, a painter took care of an aggressive rooster, and we were blissfully aggression-free until about 4 years ago, until once again an attack bird was eliminated. no attacks since.

Latest all cockerels flock pictures (taken a few days ago):

IMG_4317.jpg

IMG_4305.jpg

IMG_4288.jpg

When allowed to free range outside fenced area, they tend follow me around like my henchmen. :wee

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom