How long should I give impacted crop to resolve?

Fossey2

Hatching
Apr 22, 2021
Have a hen who I have been working on her impacted crop 4 days now. It's smaller than a baseball, larger than a golf ball. In the mornings it is still pliable and soft/mushy. I have given her oils and even that ginger concoction I read about and I massage it 10-15 min 3x daily. Even after massaging it and it is very very pliable, I feel something like a weird shaped bone inside of it. Not just the grit and gravel pebbles.

I have her in a cage inside the house and I am only feeding her soft foods. She is eating, drinking and pooping fine but if I let her go back out to the coop she will sit in the nesting box all day and puff out her feathers when disturbed and wont come out on her own to eat and drink (though she will eat and drink if we force her out of the nesting box).

How long should I give it before I resort to crop surgery? I have a feeling she ate something that will never come out on it's own.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

If you feel something that is hard and of a shape that you know pretty well it won't work its way out on its own, crop surgery is the next step. If you are willing to do the surgery yourself, I can give you some guidance.

If you feel something that is hard and of a shape that you know pretty well it won't work its way out on its own, crop surgery is the next step. If you are willing to do the surgery yourself, I can give you some guidance.
That would be great! I have watched several surgeries online and I grew up on a farm so I am pretty confident I can handle it..LOL
Let me tell you what I was planning and let me know if I am missing anything or should do anything different:

Assume that all instruments are sterilized and I am working in a clean field with good view and chicken is layed down securely with head covered. I also have vetrx for poultry I was going to put by her nostrils.
Everything I have read says don't use lidocaine to numb (is this correct?)

1 - Shave chickens crop are to clean surgery field. Apply betadine to clean area.
2 - Use scapel and cut approx 1' through 1st layer of skin to expose crop.
3 - Slide skin to the side (so crop cut and skin cut don't line up)
4 - Cut open crop using 3/4 - 1 inch incision
5 - Slowly and gently, remove impaction, trying not to tear crop and pull too hard.
6 - Once crop is clear, flush with Saline.
7 - Once bleeding is slowed and cleaned up, apply Krazy glue to close crop.
8 - Push closed crop back into body and seal skin with crazy glue.
9 - Apply Stri strips and bandage appropriately.
10 - Keep area clean and covered for 2-3 days while healed and feed hen soft foods only.

I was also considering putting triple antibiotic cream on the wound and giving her fish amoxicillin.

What should I change up to improve this process?

Thanks so much for your help and encouragement!

Back
Top Bottom