how long should my chicks be on there heat lamp? they are 3 weeks now

obe10

Songster
10 Years
Jul 14, 2009
Irmo, South Carolina
my chicks are 3 weeks old, and still on the heat lamp when should i turn off the heat lamp? do do they need it anymore? here are some pics. of the fancy little things my golden polish chicks
36766_pics_179.jpg
my golden campine chick a little wobbly on her practice perch
36766_pics_174.jpg

I keep mine a minimum of 5 weeks usually 6 to 7 weeks in the brooder.

With how hot it is right now I am just using 60 to 75 watt light bulbs and my 2 and 3 week old chicks are doing fine.

Are they indoors or out? Air conditioning? Where do you live?

If they are outdoors in a coop and your weather is like ours, turn the heat off.

First glad you got the campine, at least you have ONE good chicken.
lau.gif

2nd you need a larger perch(wider)

3rd Chicks need to be under heat starting at 95 and dropping 5 degrees a week till fully feathered so at 3 weeks should be around 80 degrees, so if temp is above 80 you can turn the light off, but probably will need to turn it back on if the temp drops too low at night.
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

ok thanks for the info! i have heard that the chicks will sleep better in the dark do you think it is ok to turn off the light at night?

They should be OK at 78. Watch how they act. The danger signal is that they pile on top of one another. Different from huddling or cuddling up to one another; that is a social thing, and they will do that.

Why don't you get them outdoors?

tomorrow we are planning to put them in the run tomorrow while the adult chickens are out ( they will kill the babies ) so you think they will be ok off the light?

Back
Top Bottom