How long should shipped eggs sit before going into the bator?

goatkeepers

Songster
11 Years
Mar 31, 2008
Mooresville, NC
Well, that's basically my question.
smile.png
How long should I let them sit on the countertop before starting the incubation?

Oh, one more question: do I need to disinfect my styrofoam bator before I put them in? My first try failed, so no hatches. I had 3 eggs. None exploded or anything...

Thanks!

Just let your eggs rest in a carton w/ the pointy side down, so the air sac will settle. Let them slowly come to room temp and your good to go.

I don't think it would hurt to disinfect just to be on the safe side.

Hope this helps!!!!
Good luck w/ your hatch.
smile.png

They need to sit for six to eight hours, pointy side down in an egg carton, to let the air sacs settle and bring them to room temperature. The longer you let them rest, the better your hatch rate will be. I also wouldn't worry about disinfecting your bator, since you didn't have any eggs hatch or explode. Good luck Nina! I'm setting some more tonight myself! If you set yours tonight, tomorrow will count as day one, not today.
smile.png

Good luck, gumpsgirl!! What are you setting?
jumpy.gif

Thanks to all you guys that responded. I'll let them sit over night. I am picking them up from the post office in the afternoon (after I get off work, the day they call me to let me know they arrived) so overnight should be plenty of time. Thanks again.
smile.png

Quote:
My eggs are set and incubating away! I have set 15 Welsummers, 6 SLW/BLW's, 5 Ameraucanas, 3 of my nephew's White Leghorns for him, and 13 mixed bantam eggs. SHEW! What in the world am I going to keep doing with all of these chicks?!?!
lol.png
What are you going to set this time?

I just set 12 Serama eggs. I was done, done, done hatching...but you know- I started out with my sad serama hatch I figured I could try one more time and end with seramas.
My attempt last time- I only had one hatch, and it died a few days later.
sad.png
I hope I have better results this time.

Oh, mom2emall, I didn't know yours died!!
sad.png
I'm so sorry to hear that. Yeah, I was pondering just giving hatching up since none of mine in the first one made it out of the eggs. Buuut
roll.png
I want to try one more time, this time I ordered some good eggs (blue laced red wyandottes, gumpsgirl
smile.png
) so I can rule that factor out.
Good luck to both of you. I will set mine either thursday or friday morning, depending on whether they come tomorrow
wee.gif
or thursday.
I'm sending you guys good hatching vibes. I wish I could have set with you. It's so hard passing those three weeks by yourself.
barnie.gif

Goatkeepers,

My serama died- the others that have hatched didnt- I wasnt clear. I was so sad though, it was my first egg...I had named "her" Sera the Serama...so, its only right to end my hatching with more seramas.

I have hatched silkies and easter eggers and two show girls since my serama. Hopefully this time I will hatch more than one serama!

I have Easter eggers in the incubator on Day 21-
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

Take heart, Serama are harder than other breeds. I have hatched hundreds and hatch about 30 per week, so I offer these tips that have helped me.

When your eggs arrive, candle them to see if the air sacs are floating or very large. Old eggs will have a large air sac and old eggs are more prone to a detached air sac. If the eggs are old or damaged, you are starting at a disadvantage but may still end up with chicks.

Keep guages on temp and humidity. If you are using a styrofoam incubator, place your thermometer on level with the eggs. I incubate at 100.5 F at 55% humidity and have good results. If they are joining larger eggs, it may be a disadvantage to them, but it may still work.

Temperature fluctuations are a problem in styroam incubators but you can add a water bladder to even them out - just fill a zip lock or two with warm water to help keep the temperature from spikes and valleys.

Candle again at 5 days and you should see a little red spider-like embryo forming. Toss clear eggs or those with just a blood ring.

I keep turning until they pop out. They should hatch on day 19 or day 20. If they don't pip, candle to see if they are in the air sac - if they are crack the air sac end open and help just the head out. If they don't finish on their own, let them out but take care not to pull the cord out, pinch it off. 2/3 will hatch unassisted in the right conditions, you can save most of the rest by helping.

Be sure to grind their food to a very fine grind so that they can eat it. Do not dip their beaks in water as you would hatchery shipments - they will likely go without water or food for 24-48 hours. I mix 2/9 baby grains (small ground corn and wheat), 1/9 rolled oats (oatmeal) and 6/9 medicated starter in a coffee grinder on the coarse setting.

I hope you have a great hatch! They are the cutest little things!

Back
Top Bottom