How long to recover from egg binding?

alinas2010

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Jul 8, 2022
Wyoming
I initially thought Ravioli was egg bound this morning as she’s had laying issues recently and she was hunched over keeping her distance from the rest of the flock this morning. I did notice what looked like egg white dripping from her feathers below her vent, just a little. So I’m worried an egg may have broken in her. I checked her out and didn’t notice any other signs of an egg near her vent. Just the one clear string hanging.

Popped 600mg of calcium plus D3 in her mouth and I watched her lay about an hour later in the grass (unlike her) where she had been hunched up at. The egg she laid was normal size and hard shelled. About another hour later and she is still distant and puffed up.

Does it take a while to recover from being egg bound or should I investigate further? Is there a chance an egg broke inside her even though she laid already? For reference this hen’s laying problems relate to laying 2 soft shelled eggs a day. The last week or so she has only been laying one good, hard shelled one. We stopped giving treats and scratch about the same time as many suggested on her. That did seem to help get her back on track laying-wise until today…if this is even a laying issue.

This is her right now resting under the patio table instead of roaming the yard. She also keep standing like a flamingo.

Attachments

• IMG_7528.jpeg
    IMG_7528.jpeg
    908.1 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_7531.jpeg
    IMG_7531.jpeg
    831 KB · Views: 13
She was fine last night before bed and ate this morning. She did not lay yesterday. Is it possible she is just recovering from the feeling of egg binding?

Mystery solved…I just watched her push out - with difficulty - her second egg if the day. Soft shelled. I just happened to get to watch the first and second eggs come out today. Crazy.

Attachments

• IMG_7533.jpeg
    IMG_7533.jpeg
    915.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7534.jpeg
    IMG_7534.jpeg
    365.1 KB · Views: 12
The first egg if anyone is interested. A perfectly normal egg. I am blown away, I thought the change in diet helped and we were past this 2 eggs a day nonsense.

She seems to be much better now. They must’ve just been backed up in her; couldn’t feel good. I assume the calcium plus D3 supplement is what got her through this; what a lifesaver.

Attachments

• IMG_7516.jpeg
    IMG_7516.jpeg
    828.1 KB · Views: 20
The first egg if anyone is interested. A perfectly normal egg. I am blown away, I thought the change in diet helped and we were past this 2 eggs a day nonsense.

She seems to be much better now. They must’ve just been backed up in her; couldn’t feel good. I assume the calcium plus D3 supplement is what got her through this; what a lifesaver.
Where do you get this supplement? And what dosing ?

Where do you get this supplement? And what dosing ?
I got mine at Walmart, but you can get it, I’m sure at any grocery or drugstore. This is exactly what I got. I give her 600 mg when she is having a hard time laying. Each tablet of the ones I bought is 400 mg, so she gets one and a half tablets when she has issues. I was crushing it up but she’ll take it fine if I just pull down her wattles and pop one at a time in her beak.

Attachments

• IMG_7662.jpeg
    IMG_7662.jpeg
    491.8 KB · Views: 18
That is great that she laid the egg. Is she eating layer feed and having crushed oyster shell made available. Are her eggs larger than normal? I hope her laying troubles are over now.

That is great that she laid the egg. Is she eating layer feed and having crushed oyster shell made available. Are her eggs larger than normal. I hope her laying troubles are over now.
Yes, she’s always had free choice oyster she’ll available, but we switched to just plain layer feed after she began having issues. We were doing a mix of layer and all flock before.

Her eggs never seemed to be larger than normal. I’m not sure what her problem stems from. I suspect being somewhere between 2-3 years old that she is coming into production breed issues. Poor thing. She’s sweet, I’ll do whatever I can to help her through any issues she has.

She hasn’t had any real issues since this and hasn’t had a day of laying 2 eggs, so I hope we’re on the up and up with the diet corrections.

Back
Top Bottom