How long (vaguely) will my Australorps stop laying in the winter in Texas

shawthorne44

Songster
Jun 23, 2017
I've got 20 Australorps in the Dallas area. About 8 are laying, and I already have a surplus. I've sold 2 dozen eggs so far. I don't want to use a light in the coop to extend the daylight. I don't think they'll need heat in the winter. I hope I'll get enough eggs to tide us over for the time period when they stop laying. Anyone with a vague idea how long that might be, and vaguely when it might start? I don't want to actually buy grocery store eggs this winter. Everything I've found talks about how to extend the laying time.

Hi! I'm from Ohio. It gets dark very early in the winter, around 6:00. I've heard that Australorps are excellent layers, even in winter. I'm wondering, how early does it get dark in the Texas winters? Does it get very cold? I think you'll get eggs all winter long. Even in our extreme Ohio weather, I still get eggs, but the problem is, collecting those eggs before they freeze and crack open. LOL

As a general rule, we don't get freezing temperatures. We get snow about twice every three years, even then the temp hovers around the freezing point.
If I get some eggs all winter long, then I'll be happy.

That's my breed and I don't start selling chicks until October. They pretty much lay all winter if I feed them layer feed and free range them. So I think you will have plenty. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom