1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long will the hens lay fertile eggs after the roo mates with them?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Maryallison, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Maryallison

Maryallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    Just wondering how long the hens will lay fertile eggs after the rooster breeds with her? Is it a daily thing? Or does his sperm stick around with the hens a few days?

We were wanting to hatch another batch out, but 3 days ago we had to lock up poor Tyson. he used to free range with all his hens. Oh...he attacked my 3 year old daughter so to the rooster holding area he went (which by the way is very nice) [​IMG] Today I put 2 hens in with him and with another rooster in a holding area just in case the hens free ranging aren't fertile.

Thanks in advance. I put eggs in the bator Sunday night! [​IMG]

2. jonnyschicks

jonnyschicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2010
    Central Oregon
    I was just wandering something about the same question.. how long after my roo Yankee mounted his girls would they start laying
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

3. farmerbrownsdaughter

farmerbrownsdaughter Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2009
    Maple Ridge, B.C.
    The eggs will stay fertile for up to a week.

4. Shannoniganshens

Shannoniganshens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    West TX
    10 days I believe to be fertile, could be wrong, but I swear I read that somewhere.

5. leahthor

leahthor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    Northwestern Alberta
    The hen can be considered fertilized for up to 2 weeks. Although I have read here that alot of breeders will wait 3 weeks to be on the safe side.

6. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    If I'm saving eggs to incubate I figure a week, if I'm switching roos and want to make sure the new roo is the "daddy" I figure three weeks, or until three eggs in a row don't have a bullseye.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  7. Maryallison

Maryallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    thanks everybody!!!!! [​IMG]

8. xxSonja

xxSonja Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Australia
    The hen can still lay fertile eggs upto 4 weeks after you remove the Roo. Fertility of eggs drops the longer they've been seperated, but it really can take that long.
    If im doing some selective breeding, i wait between 3 - 4 weeks for my hens to 'detox' before putting a new rooster to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by