How long?

2DogsCoop

Songster
8 Years
Mar 16, 2011
Naples, FL
We got 5 new 17 week old black stars last Wednesday. We kept them separate for 5 days. Our runs can be closed off from each other. At night we would collect the new chickens and put them in a dog kennel and then in the coop. For the most part all was peaceful except for the occasional scuffle. But now the new chickens are being forced into the coop and anytime they come out the old chickens chase them back in. I am hoping that this gets better soon, I feel so bad for the new birds and I was told not to inter fear with them, that they have to learn the pecking order. I am able to close the 5 reds we have in the other side of the coop when I get home from work and them get the new ones out into the run and they eat and drink. But as soon as I open up the door from the other run back into the coop they get chased. I hope they all start to get along soon. Any advice?

Quote:
They are fine at night, the old chickens are on the high roost and the new ones are on the low roost. I am not out there in the dark but when we close up the coop all is peaceful.

do you have a thrid pen that you can put all the birds in at one time so that all are in a new pen, sometimes this shakes up the pecking order a little for new ones to mix in better

Back
Top Bottom