How many chickens can a dang fox eat!!!!!!

So far a fox has come to my place 4 or 5 times in the past month or so, but all he (she) (they) got was one small chick. The first hen got away, mangled, we had to cull her. The second (mother) hen lost almost every single tail feather but no major injuries. The 3rd time the fox got the chick, but that couldn't have been much of a meal. Yesterday the fox had a hen in its mouth, shaking it (according to my teen) but the hen got away and they are all safe, just a pile of feathers in the driveway. It's either a dumb fox or very unlucky. Fortunately my dog is The Fox Hunter and chases it away almost every time, altho usually after an attack. Still, she's probably the reason why the fox has been so unsuccessful.

We just ordered a coil spring trap, and today my husband actually sat in the yard ready to shoot, but you'd have to sit out there all day every day for days to actually get it, so I don't think that will work.

It's putting everyone on edge. I end up "chicken sitting" a lot which is a huge waste of time. With a trap (it appears to be a humane trap) we can either kill the fox or relocate it. Hate to leave its cubs like that, but not as much as I hate to lose another chicken.

I was sitting outside the other day enjoying the chickens, and a fox came right up behind our geese! In the middle of the day!! First time we have seen the little bugger! We did a quick count and it had gotten 6 of our young hens! So now we have a Great Pyrenees and a Pyrenees/Anatolian mix. Both stay in the chicken yard day and night. When the chickens are free ranging, so are the boys!
Hoping this works!

My not so long ago the dog ate my neighbor a couple of small breeding chickens that had, at that time wanted to go to settle scores with the blessed dog
rant.gif
, but good are things that sometimes we have to spend.

If I have made spelling mistakes I hope will forgive me, because I do not speak 100% English and translate it with google.
hit.gif
hide.gif

Last edited:
rant.gif
Unfortunately I am also a member of your little club. This has been the worst spring ever. Question-how good a deterent is the presence of a dog? I have a pretty good handle on the racoon and possum population with live traps. But this fox-frankly has me "out foxed". I actually have lost count of my losses and know I have lost 1/2 my march pullets. I am thinking electric fence to keep the fox out and dog in....I have the opportunity to give a retired fox hound-yep a FOXHOUND- a home and thought the role of "farm dog" may be a nice change for this dog who has spent her life in a kennel. She is my favorite and a lovely dog and it would be a good "excuse" to give her a home. Any opinions? I know several retired hounds that have done well in this capacity. Obviously we would have to make sure she is a hundred percent steady on the poultry first. But they are pretty well broken of chasing anything but fox.

I'm so sorry for all of you I live in the suburbs in ny and have had ducks for 1yr. no accidents so far and I dont think there will be. Luckily we have only seen one red fox the whole time ive been living here (I'm 11yrs. old) but it hasent even been seen near my ducks. I'm too paranoid to let my ducks free range so The stay in a coop and run. Good luck with all of your fox problems!

Back
Top Bottom