How many chickens per nest box?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Idranoel, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Idranoel

Idranoel Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2009
    Columbia, SC
    1:1 or do they share? I know, it's a newby question.[​IMG]

2. Suburban chick farmer 09

Suburban chick farmer 09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    St. Louis MO
    4 chickens per nest box.

3. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    typical, though, for the silly girls (hens) to lay in one or two nest boxes when they have 10 to choose from. they'd rather line up and wait for their "favorite" nest. [​IMG]

4. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    I have six nest boxes at the moment and 7 hens. They all insist on laying in the same box [​IMG]

5. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    I get away with more, it seems that they all like two in particular and I wind up with 8 or 9 in that box, while the rest have five or 2 or... I have actually watched them staring each other down, waiting to get their turn in that particular box, lol

I would go with 4 per box to be safe

6. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh my goodness no!... NOT 1:1 they'll fight over the same nest, or two nests... depends on how many you cluckers you have. 30 hens, 4 nests, is enough for me, though, many people have 6 nests just because that's normal. I have ... well 4.5 nests, three regular sized ones, and one 'double wide' nest. Most like the double wide one, (or close to it... maybe not quite an actual double)

They really prefer to share the extra wide one.

7. lichick28

lichick28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    LONG ISLAND, NEW YORK
    I have 5 hens & 3 nest boxes but they all wait for one box. They start sqacking telling them to hurry. Its like kids waiting to get in the bathroom

8. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    i have 5 chickens and 2 nest boxes, I usually get 4 eggs in one and 1 in the other.

9. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    I have, uh, 13 hens that are laying right now and 3 nest boxes in the coop (and a couple more outside), they use all 4 some days and on others only 2. I tell you, there cause quite a stir when they want to lay and the box they wish to use is occupied...yow, they could wake the dead [​IMG]
    Still, its more a preferential thing for your hens, just 'cause you have more boxes doesn't mean they'll use them.

10. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I have 5 hens and 5 nests. Some days I get 4 eggs. They use one nest box. When i had 16 hens they used two or three nest boxes. But the favorite nest box sometimes changed....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by