How many chickens per nest box?

Idranoel

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 5, 2009
Columbia, SC
1:1 or do they share? I know, it's a newby question.
tongue.png

typical, though, for the silly girls (hens) to lay in one or two nest boxes when they have 10 to choose from. they'd rather line up and wait for their "favorite" nest.
idunno.gif

I get away with more, it seems that they all like two in particular and I wind up with 8 or 9 in that box, while the rest have five or 2 or... I have actually watched them staring each other down, waiting to get their turn in that particular box, lol

I would go with 4 per box to be safe

Oh my goodness no!... NOT 1:1 they'll fight over the same nest, or two nests... depends on how many you cluckers you have. 30 hens, 4 nests, is enough for me, though, many people have 6 nests just because that's normal. I have ... well 4.5 nests, three regular sized ones, and one 'double wide' nest. Most like the double wide one, (or close to it... maybe not quite an actual double)

They really prefer to share the extra wide one.

I have, uh, 13 hens that are laying right now and 3 nest boxes in the coop (and a couple more outside), they use all 4 some days and on others only 2. I tell you, there cause quite a stir when they want to lay and the box they wish to use is occupied...yow, they could wake the dead
ep.gif

Still, its more a preferential thing for your hens, just 'cause you have more boxes doesn't mean they'll use them.

I have 5 hens and 5 nests. Some days I get 4 eggs. They use one nest box. When i had 16 hens they used two or three nest boxes. But the favorite nest box sometimes changed....

Back
Top Bottom