How many chickens

Okay thanks. I have six chickens already in a coop but I want to expand my flock next spring to like 20-25 birds.

With expanding to the 20-25 birds you need a coop 8x14 or larger and a run that is a minimum of 250 square feet or roughly 14x20.

Going with 20+ birds......don't look at premade coops. They cost a ton, are poorly designed, poorly made and cannot come anywhere close to meeting your needs.

Update: we are looking in to getting a shed and turning it into a chicken coop. Then building our own run. Would an 8×8 shed work with a run and free range hens?

Update: we are looking in to getting a shed and turning it into a chicken coop. Then building our own run. Would an 8×8 shed work with a run and free range hens?

The maximum in an 8x8 is 16....if anything like nests, food dishes, and water dish is in the coop that space needs deleted from being seen as "viable" coop space. Viable coop space is where they can move, walk, flap freely.

If you plan to integrate birds later you need a lot more square footage per bird. If you get bad weather and they stay inside for more than a day you need a lot more room.

I am using 4square foot per bird as a base number. A lot can affect that number......however I don't recommend going below it.

Okay I don't want to become a 'chicken factory' person. It's just lumber and crap costs so much money right now. Thank you!
The maximum in an 8x8 is 16....if anything like nests, food dishes, and water dish is in the coop that space needs deleted from being seen as "viable" coop space. Viable coop space is where they can move, walk, flap freely.

If you plan to integrate birds later you need a lot more square footage per bird. If you get bad weather and they stay inside for more than a day you need a lot more room.

I am using 4square foot per bird as a base number. A lot can affect that number......however I don't recommend going below it.

Okay set plan is to build a chicken Mansion. We looked for sheds. Some are too big others were too small I found a perfperfect one only to find out that it's halfway across the country! So we are now building our own chicken mansion I am hoping it's not going to be an excessive cost from the lumber. We are going to have it 10×15 with a spot for chicks and mamas, storage and introducing birds. It's going to have a big run attached along with free range birds. Thank you all for your help and interest!

Back
Top Bottom