looking to make brooder plate out of old hot tray

Zeroforhire

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 31, 2018
I have a vintage old salton hot tray. It is 350 watt, but has a little dial on the side to adjust warmth. I am worried it is still too warm. Can I add a plug in lighting dimmer to it to lower the temp even more? I am hoping I can make this work to lower the energy usage and use something I already have lying around. The plate itself is around 18x11 inches. It looks like this
https://www.ebay.com/i/193013729646...9RNXp3hJgBwiQvOMAptklVXwP64GgSc4aAvEOEALw_wcB

Even if you get it right, there is a high chance it will stop working after few days and your chicks will freeze to death

I am not sure. are heat pads something that can be left weeks on end without issue?

Commercial heat plates are designed to be left on. With heating pads, most of them now have an auto shut off feature that turns it off after a period of time, however there's a few that come without that auto shut off. I'm sure the manufacturers will tell you they're not meant to be left on like that, however many of us use them without issue. As with any heat source you want to make sure it's in good working condition, test it out ahead of time, and keep an eye on it while using.

Back
Top Bottom