How many chickens

Doesn't she get lonely? I always thought they should at least have one companion?

Sometimes, circumstances are such that a person ends up with a lone chicken. While I think it's better to have more (I ALWAYS think more chickens is best), I unintentionally ended up with a single "house" chicken who can free range with the outdoor girls during the day but prefers to come inside at night with me, the cat and the dog. I don't think she's lonely; I think she's spoiled.

Sometimes, circumstances are such that a person ends up with a lone chicken. While I think it's better to have more (I ALWAYS think more chickens is best), I unintentionally ended up with a single "house" chicken who can free range with the outdoor girls during the day but prefers to come inside at night with me, the cat and the dog. I don't think she's lonely; I think she's spoiled.

It sounds like she's living the good life!
:cool:

In the case of house chickens, I totally get how having just one works. Extra cuddles and pampering!

I just thought it was uncommon to start with only one. Maybe that could be the case when rescuing one I suppose.

I started with 6 leghorns. And then the next day we got 2 sebright roosters and 14 pullet. and I also have 10 ducks. Am currently hatching some silkies and paint leghorn eggs

I ordered 6 from a hatchery. 2 white leghorns, a silver laced whiendot , a black astrolorpe , a barred rock and a speckled Sussex all 4 wks old. The week they were to arrive I ordered 2 more from a different hatchery. A golden laced whiendot and a Barnevelder both 6 wks old. Chicken math kicked in.

I started with 9 "temporary" chickens, 8 POL hens, and one roo, when the owner went on an extended vacation last year. Long story short, he never got them back !

The roo went to freezer camp, and 2 of the hens were lost to predation. That left me 6 hens.

In early August, I got ten more sexed pullets, 1 of which just disappeared ??? Then I had 15 hens/pullets.

A few weeks ago, I acquired another cockerel, which puts my current total at 16. Close to my personal limit, I think I have time and energy for maybe 4 or 5 more !!!

i started with 6 red sex links for a couple of years, lost 4 to predators. got 6 different breeds to replace the 4( see my math is off already). one of those turned out to be a rooster. a hen went broody so we let her set on 8 eggs, thinking not all would hatch. wrong! got 4 pullets and 4 cockerels out of that hatch, culled the roosters. another broody who hatched 2 eggs, went to atwoods and got 4 more chicks to keep them company. total at present is 14. somebody stop me!:th

Back
Top Bottom