How many chicks should I get?

Casper101Popcor

Chirping
Apr 13, 2015
CA, always with my chickens!
All I need for my lonely pullet, Casper, is 2 hens. But i know that baby chicks are fragile and can die easily. Should I get more just in case the other chicks die. Because if I only get 2 chicks, and one dies, I would be devastated at the loss of my new chicks.But if i got more than just 2 chicks, and they all survive, i will need to give them away since in want 2 hens and 2 hens only. If i give them away( i know a guy who will take them), they will be sad and hard for them to be away from their friends. Also they will have to go through earning a new place in the pecking order. What should I do? Please help!

With chicks it is best to buy at least three or more - this allows for unfortunate events to claim one chick and not leave you with a single chick since it is best not to have just one lone chick - starting with more than you need/want also allows for the occasional "oops" factor in sexing chicks so that if you find you have a surprise cockerel you are not left with only one chick again. Since you have a ready outlet for any excess birds, I would suggest getting 4+.
The birds will not be sad - they will go through an integration process, yes.

I agree. Since you have that outlet I’d get four because of those reasons. Although you only want to keep two I’d suggest you change that minimum to three to keep to avoid this situation in the future.

Chickens are flock animals and prey animals. In the wild a flock is always losing members. The chickens adjust to that change pretty quickly. It’s not so much mourning the loss as it is adjusting the pecking order. They do adjust very quickly. Don’t over think that part. They will be OK.

Additional reason for 4+ is that if/when the time comes to split off the extras you will be doing them a service by sending more than one bird off to the new home.

I would buy at least three. Chicks can die fairly easily, so you want to have extras just in case one passes away. Also, there is always a chance that any sexed pullet chicks you get is a rooster. Four-five would be better.

Three minimum, four would be better.

The reason I give is that chicks form units that last them for life. As they develop self confidence, the more chicks in their unit gives them more self confidence, and they will need that for them to stand up to an adult hen. Later as you add more chickens to the flock, these chicks have the self confidence to deal with changes and challenges, especially if they happen to lose one of their unit over time.

Back
Top Bottom