How many days for peahen eggs to hatch?

JewellFarm

Songster
10 Years
Apr 22, 2009
Lebanon, Virginia
This is my first experience with peahen eggs. They were supposed to hatch today but nothing so far. I had 4, one was not fertile, one was tossed 3 days ago (rotten) and 2 are left. I think it is supposed to be 28 days. They were in the incubator for the first 3 days after I received them then I had a hen go broody, so they went under her. Last time I candled they looked as if they were developing well. Could it just take another day or so if they hatch at all?

28 days but i'd leave them at least until day 33.

Peafowl are notorious to die in the shell just before hatching- you'll get them all the way almost hatched and then nothing.

I set a bunch last year and didn't get but just a few to actually hatch. I'm letting moms hatch this year and see if they have better luck than I did...

Thats what I was afraid of
sad.png

Yes, some take longer, check and see if they are pip.

Yes alot died right before hatching, this is what newbe find hatching them. Not so with all these tricks

1. I start mine under game hens for the first week.
2. All fertile eggs in the incubator on their size,
3. Hand turned plus use the auto turner.
4. Place in hatching tray day 25, also raise the humidity.

With all this extra works have a very good hatch.

Hens hatch them ok, but best to pull peachick and raise them on wire.

I only had them in the incubator for 3 days, then my hen went broody and they went under her. All have looked good all along but no pips whatsoever. I am getting worried and so upset. I was already set to raise them on wire. I had read too many bad things about leaving them with the hen. Thanks for confirming that for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom