How many did you start with?

One! My baby boy. He's my pet duck but now he has his own little family, but they won't be around much longer, except his two women. I also have 3 Swedish ducks. One duckling from those, and if it's male will be kept, female eaten.

But Elvis made me fall in love with ducks! When he grew up male and I couldn't eat him, we got him a girlfriend so we could eat his babies.

I ordered 12 from Metzer, cuz I could not decide which breed I wanted first...they sent two extra in case they died....they all lived.....and I just found my first egg! I am in a panic...I have too many but they are so darn cute to watch!

True, they are skittish..and they always will be, but they are not struggling as much when I first pick them up, they are difficult to corral in the yard, so in their "rental unit" I can snatch one up and coo and pet and sweet talk to them. They will move into the mansion that is being updated soon....if DH gets his fanny in gear it will be next week...\\

Ducks are MESSY MESSY MESSY.

I started with one rescued drake , then rescued a hen and drake, then bought three hens to help even things out... then i didnt have to buy anymore because i was stampeded with babies
smile.png
of course that didnt stop me buyin or adoptin a pretty bird here and there

I bought 12. 1 died in the first few months.....I sold 7 leaving me with a quad. Turns out I'm not much of a duck person. 4 is manageable though.

I would say a half dozen to start with would be good.

This time of year can be very trying. I just spent the last hour scraping the top part of the snow thats piled up every where it was covered in duck poop, I just ordered a heated hose which I hope will help me keep the poop down to a minimum. They hand out all together in 1 place and it can get nasty real fast.
sickbyc.gif

Started with 2 - a chocolate hen & a snowy drake - Call Ducks, of course!
That was a year ago. Babies came, went, more bought, more sold. Am sitting on 29 right now.
cool.png

Hi! I am Najmo and I am addicted to bobble headed call ducks and insanely jealous of colors I haven't bought/bred yet.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom