How many did you start with?

KimM

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 9, 2011
I read that 6 is a good number of ducks to start with if you are new to ducks. But it's so hard to narrow down my wish list of breeds. I started with 12 chickens and that seemed fine, but for some reason 12 ducks seems like more than 12 chickens if that makes any sense.... and I don't want to be overwhelmed (would I be with that many? space is not an issue)

How many did you start with?

I started off with 7 from Metzers. I ordered 6 runners then went back and ordered a Jubo Pekin. 1 of the runners died within a day of me getting them and another died at 9 weeks old. Half a dozen is a good place to start.

I started with raising some orphaned black bellied whistling tree ducks. later hubby let me order 5 ducklings from metzers.. The Tree ducks flew away and I still had the domestic ducks. Re homed 2. one died after about 10 months.. Rescued a pekin at park. So right now I have 3.

I started with two runners which both turned to to be boys, then we got four girls, so at the moment I have 6
smile.png

It really depends on two things, plus cost of course, but you have chickens so will know the costs involved:

Space - Obviously the more space you have, the more ducks you can have. They're very messy, especially with water and poos, so just a few in a fairly small area could be more work than the same amount of chickens in an identical set-up.

Friendliness - The more ducks you get, the less friendly they are likely to be, unless you put effort into getting them used to you and happy around people
smile.png

What iamcuriositycat said is very true, once you have ducks, you will always want more!
lol.png
I think starting with a smaller number one year (1-4) and then getting more the next year and then more the year after etc. would be great, for me at least! Obviously introduction problems could happen doing this, but I love the process of raising them from little ducklings to adults
big_smile.png

What iamcuriositycat said is very true, once you have ducks, you will always want more!
lol.png
I think starting with a smaller number one year (1-4) and then getting more the next year and then more the year after etc. would be great, for me at least! Obviously introduction problems could happen doing this, but I love the process of raising them from little ducklings to adults
big_smile.png

I am new and have 4 !! It was a perfect number cuz I can spend alot of time on each one. They are call ducks and very friendly. I have 2 boys and 2 girls so come spring I will need to get more girls , which I hope to get as ducklings to hand raise. Hopefully no introduction problems. Would luv to just have the 4 but come spring there may be a breeding problem.​

I started with two. But when each new year rolled around i added more birds. First year i added geese. Next year was more ducks. This year was guineas.

Lets just get it out in the open folks, We're addicted!! I started out with 1 drake I adopted from our river ,then went and bought 3 hens to go with him and then adopted another 3 hens and then another drake just happened to fly into our section of river. so now I am up to 8, all Muscovy.

Started with 2 from Metzer. Those 2, meeting John Metzer, and seeing the hatchery, along with raising the ducks, had started my poulty addiction
tongue.png
. Joining BYC anchored the love for poultry....now we have chickens, and have an order placed w/ Holderread for some SQ Magpies and WH's
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom