How many did you start with?

I started with 30
hide.gif
I had started with 40 chickens so I thought ducklings would be no problem..... The learning curve with chickens is easier than ducks and 30 is a LOT of ducks.
thumbsup.gif
Course now I have added 3 as well so
ep.gif
I have decided I have become poultry crazy. And I am now trying to hatch more chickens and plan on hatching ducklings in the spring. And am looking
he.gif
At the different breeds of chickens to get to my goal flock.

And of course my DH mentioned that he would like turkeys so now I have been doing my homework on them as well
idunno.gif
We will see if I can hold out on the turkeys for another year.

I started with 9 Muscovies then, out of nowhere, the number flew up to 42 ducks of various breeds!! I am back down to 19 Muscovies but will be cutting back to 12 very soon. 9 was a good starting point for me. I bought my 'originals' when they were almost full grown so I knew what I was getting into... instead of falling in love with 12 little ducklings and ending up with 12 HUGE ducks, lol.

12 ducks IS more than 12 chickens, they are more demanding as far as pen/coop cleaning & watering goes, watering is daily and clenaing is a couple times a week(at the very least) with mine. The are super piggy in the brooder too, a million times worse than chicks.

Decide what you want them for first, then choose your final breed(s). if you wanna breed them it may be easier to start with just one breed, if they're for eggs then go for a mixed flock.

Hi! I started with 35 ducklings COMPLETELY by accident. MMcM sent my order of ducklings and they were the wrong breed (15). They resent the correct breed the next week (10 more). A couple of days later I got another box of 10.
Bang... 35 ducklings. They ALL lived. All's I wanted was a trio of Blue Swedish for my Mom, hahahaha.
Swedish, and Rouens, and Runners, and Pekins --- oh my!
When we got rid of the last of those, we swore (Hubby swore) we'd never have ducks here again. Bless his heart, he brought home a pair of Pekin ducklings the next Easter. Now we have Pekins, Blue Swedish, Ancona, and Muscovy.
Hahahaha!
smile.png

Lisa

I recieved 6 muscovy ducklings in a trade. I butchered extras and ended up with 4 by the end of the the first year. They didn't reproduce the 2nd year and only had two clutches total that didn't go well their third year (weird for 'scovies), and I bought a hen and her 13 babies. I kept a few of those babies (a drake and a couple hens). Then, the 'scovies reproduced a LOT this year, and I bought 5 Welsh Harlequins. So, my ducks are total, about or above 25 birds. I haven't counted in a while.
smile.png
There is close to 20 muscovies alone - and 5 Welsh Harlequins. Then there's the 7 guineas, 5 geese, and about 50 chickens (OR SO, haven't counted them either).
smile.png

Quote:
Its always best not to count. When my better half asks how many we have I just tell him, dont count and it wont hurt you any

That's exactly why I don't count - except I live with my Dad, and big numbers of any animal seem to scare him for some reason...? I do all the chores, what's he care? LOL!

Well... I also don't count because they free range and they don't sit still very well or long enough TO count.
smile.png

I Started with 56. Bobcats got a few, I am now at 54. %0 ducks is no more difficult than 4 if you have the space. The more the merrier. The 50 came from Metzer last may. I have my first broody on top of 24 eggs. She is about 6 days in. Good luck,Enjoy ducks.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom