How many eggs can a hen lay per day?

We have three bantams and are sometimes getting 3 to 4 eggs. All hard shells. The last couple of days one of the 3 or 4 are really small. Never seen such a small egg apart from in a child's toy shopping set. Is that normal?

Is it possible that you have a chicken that is laying after you check your eggs for the day and then again the next day before you check? I only ask this because I have some late layers at times and since I work nights, I leave before they are ready to go to roost for the night. So if I don't check first thing in the morning after I get home from work and just go out to collect in the afternoon it would appear that I would have more eggs than I do chickens that day. Try checking the nest box after they have gone to bed or first thing in the morning to see if you have this going on.

I have 16 quail and I get about 15 eggs per day. Someone (can't tell who) give me a double-yolker about once every 10 days. My 15 quail eggs per day equal about 3 chicken eggs.

now you can make an omelet.
Is one of your quail a rooster? Is that's what male quail ate called right?

Yeah it takes about that many to make an omelet-- lots of trouble but worth it. The hard boiled eggs are fun, too.

I don't have any males, just females. I don't know what they are called (the males). Just males I guess.

I think one of my quail is a dud but I can't figure out which one without isolating them all in turn for a day to find out.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom