How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

Yep, we're in for it tonight and for the next few days too. Air temps 20 to 30 below, not factoring in the wind chills. Those wind chills should be really bad, considering that the wind never stops in Wyoming. We are 6 miles from that Montana border.
Yep we had -10 to -20 predicted last night with the wind chill. Morning roll call it was -2 outside, the coop didnt dip below 18 and the highest we got on humidity was 34% and that was yesterday sometime.
Do most people's chickens lay somewhat consistent within a time frame? Mine is an all day event. Example today 1 at 6am 2 at 7:30 4 at 8:30 1 at 10:00
Technically the egg cycle is anywhere from 24-27 hours to produce an egg, she takes a 30 minute break and then it starts all over. Ours is always changing because if that, some mornings I go out and we have 6 eggs first thing In the am, some mornings none. @Minnehaha thanks for the artic blast, I think winter is here to stay, lol. Had some frost bite on one of our Delaware hens waddles this am, it is from dipping them into the heated water bowl we have. Going to remedy that situation by adding sand to the dog bowl then putting their regular steel waterer on top. That being said I had to bring the bag of sand in the house to defrost as it was frozen :lol: jokes on me today. Once thawed will fix our water issue, don't want anyone else to get frostbite. Treated girl with Blu Kote and it was just on the tip.

Last edited:
8/12. One found in the old dog house. We know it was from today because the boys were playing in there yesterday and it wasn't there then. ;) It was pretty cold though!

@Minnehaha thanks for the artic blast, I think winter is here to stay, lol.

Had some frost bite on one of our Delaware hens waddles this am, it is from dipping them into the heated water bowl we have. Going to remedy that situation by adding sand to the dog bowl then putting their regular steel waterer on top. That being said I had to bring the bag of sand in the house to defrost as it was frozen
lol.png
jokes on me today. Once thawed will fix our water issue, don't want anyone else to get frostbite. Treated girl with Blu Kote and it was just on the tip.
I'm using the same waterers, I should look at my roosters to see how their combs look. I looked over my girls who have big combs and did not see any frost bite.

Do you have the big green heated water bowls, farm innovations? Where did you get the sand idea? Does that actually work? I need pictures....I am very intrigued!

Back
Top Bottom