How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

No eggs since mid October - molting, short days (I don't light the coops), cold days. But today - coldest day of the year Floppy came through and laid a beautiful egg - just in time for my birthday. What a wonderful hen! Spring is on the cusp, right?

No eggs since mid October - molting, short days (I don't light the coops), cold days. But today - coldest day of the year Floppy came through and laid a beautiful egg - just in time for my birthday. What a wonderful hen! Spring is on the cusp, right?

Well, I did see the first of the daffodils popping through the frozen ground this morning. Definitely a good sign!

I have 15 hens that were all hatched on or around July 7th, and we got our very first eggs on Christmas Eve. We got 3 that day and have gotten anywhere from 3 to 6 every day since then.
And then, today...EGGsplosion! We got TEN today! Woohoo! They seem to be catching on!
wee.gif

I was worried that they wouldn't start until spring, especially with the cold weather we've been getting here (upstate NY), but I have a light under their drinker to keep it from freezing (inside a cinder block) and, since it's the plastic drinker, it gives off a red light. Shortly after I added that light, they started laying, I'm sure it's due to the added hours of light.

Now, with the REALLY cold weather we're having (-11.7F at 6AM today), I've also added a heat lamp hanging in their coop. I'll turn that off when some "warmer" weather rolls around again.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to getting LOTS of eggs daily, in the near future!
big_smile.png

Not missing anything, we have broody girl and she has been since November, she was 8 months when she went broody. My understanding is some breeds are more likely to turn broody than others. Ours is a Dark Cornish and from what I have been hearing from other Dark Cornish owners is they go broody often. The positive is guess they are great for setting and hatching and are very protective good moms. We have five in our flock,we will use the broodies for hatching in the spring.

Yesterday's total 14/23

Yep. I had two Cuckoo Marans go broody at 5 months.

Back
Top Bottom