How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

We were really excited when our red ranger started laying for the first time 2 weeks ago. She lays an egg every 3 days and then takes a day off. The eggs seem really small though. Is that normal?

Last edited:
:)
I get 4 a day from 5 hens. I thought that was slow, and I was worrying why I seem to have a freeloader. But after reading this... I see I am doing fairly well. Is there anything I can do to get the fifth hen to pull her weight?

I doubt you have one hen who is a slacker - hens lay an egg every 25-27 hours, on average (your mileage may vary). So, doing the math, you can see that they aren't made to lay 365 days a year. If they did, it would probably kill them. It also means you're getting a very good rate of lay. Just be sure you don't freak out when the days get shorter and you get fewer eggs, or when they molt and produce none.

Last edited:
We were really excited when our red ranger started laying for the first time 2 weeks ago. She lays an egg every 3 days and then takes a day off. The eggs seem really small though. Is that normal?

The first eggs are small and called "pullet eggs". As time passes they'll increase in size. They'll really get bigger after the girls' first molt, probably around late summer/early fall 2016.

smile.png

I doubt you have one hen who is a slacker - hens lay an egg every 25-27 hours, on average (your mileage may vary). So, doing the math, you can see that they aren't made to lay 365 days a year. If they did, it would probably kill them. It also means you're getting a very good rate of lay. Just be sure you don't freak out when the days get shorter and you get fewer eggs, or when they molt and produce none.

I agree -- it sounds like your hens are working hard! In addition to the fact that it takes more than 24 hours to make an egg, as 7 Biddies says, many hens also need to take a day off between cycles. So, she'll lay an egg early in the day, then later and later on successive days, and then skip a day, and then start over early the next morning. At least, that is what mine do.

Got 9 out of 15 yesterday, our best yet. we were getting 4 to 5 with an occasional 6. can you imagine the look on my 8 year olds face when he saw all those eggs!

I love it when kids are exposed to the natural life: the curiosity, the fascination, the wonder and amazement. It's a thing of beauty to behold! As a school psychologist who is involved with the neuropsychology of learning, I can say with confidence that it enhances their learning ability ... especially when their evenings involve reading or being read to. Makes my heart smile.

Back
Top Bottom