How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

6 lonely eggs today. but 1 of them was another giant egg.
I gave one of my broody hens 6 chicks. I snuck 2 chicks in last night, 2 more this morning when she was off the nest & just put the last 2 under her a few minutes ago. She did move to the lower nest box with the first 4, so that was a good sign! She is a 1st time mom & not quite a year old. But it seems like she will do a good job.

6 lonely eggs today. but 1 of them was another giant egg.
I gave one of my broody hens 6 chicks. I snuck 2 chicks in last night, 2 more this morning when she was off the nest & just put the last 2 under her a few minutes ago. She did move to the lower nest box with the first 4, so that was a good sign! She is a 1st time mom & not quite a year old. But it seems like she will do a good job.
cool beans and what if none of my old girls want to be broody

cool beans and what if none of my old girls want to be broody
Well, then you just have to raise them in a brooder, but I'll tell you, so far at least, it's a LOT easier letting Momma broody raise them. I hadn't had any broodies before this summer, and now I've had 4 or 5! (Really only 3 hens, but 2 of them tried twice). So far only 1 of them was able to successfully hatch any eggs (on her 1st try), another has failed twice and the 3rd one is still sitting. I know she has 3 eggs, 1 of which was doing real good, the other 2 eggs were questionable.

Good luck with your incubator eggs. My first 2 or 3 tries with an incubator turned out really good, but the 3 or 4 tries after that were almost complete failures. And, may you have a broody or 2 when the chickies hatch!!

the wait till they start is the toughest
I am at 15 of 18 again
great numbers! Today, so far is 1 BUT it's a medium size. When do the pullets eggs get larger? We've had all small except for 2 now. How can you tell which ones specific are laying (other than vent, talons, beak)? I'm sure 2 GC are laying but not positive who else is yet. Perhaps one BA? I'm kind of watching who goes in and is there for awhile- besides I'm always checking the coop for who is there or not.

Well after a long absence I'm going to try to get back in the groove!
8/15 from my older girls and in the last week I have a consistent new layer 6 days out of 7! So 1/2 from the babies. Hoping the new layer is my buff, eggs started out cream colored and everyday have gotten a shade darker. Right now it's the same shade of brown as my older buffs. My new EE I pray over everyday" please Lord , blue eggs please". My two older EEs lay green and cream colored eggs and I'm really hoping for BLUE this time!

Back
Top Bottom