How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

So anyone's option here... are EE just a bunch of butt heads? I mean they are good birds and very pretty. But I got 4 this spring (labeled Americana) and the older 2 didn't lay well in the 100+ heathe here in northern California, and none of them are laying now that's it's late fall...

I get it not all first year pullets will lay through the winter, but I certainly figured I'd have at least more then just the 2 bards rocks laying. Only thing I can figure is becuase EE are a mix from a tropical breed of hen that perhaps they just aren't made to do well in my area?

I do have one older this is her second winter, she didn't start laying till this past spring shortly after we got the chicks. She also stopped when the heat got high, and was my first to stop when we started losing sunlight... I can't even imagine that I've gotten more then a few dozen eggs total from her, if that many...
I have a coop of EE's, in years past they continued to lay through the winter, but not this winter. They all went through a molt in October/November, but none have started laying again after they finished molting. They do not have artificial lighting as there is no electricity to their coop. They aren't too old, I believe that this is their 2nd winter. I blame not having extra light.
Oh, I almost forgot, 6 eggs today. but 1 was broken in the nest.

Only 6 eggs today. My missing Black Penedesenca hen never showed back up.
somad.gif
She never came in from free ranging yesterday. I looked all over for her without any luck. I was hoping she was just hiding somewhere. I didn't see any feathers or blood either, but I would bet money that a hawk got her.
I'm really sorry to hear about your hen.
hugs.gif

We've had a couple of hawks or owls; one bird each night checking out the flock and the rabbits.
rant.gif

That's the first birds this year that I've noticed sitting there watching.
I managed to scare them off...but they probably just went a little ways off and watched.
somad.gif

So anyone's option here... are EE just a bunch of butt heads? I mean they are good birds and very pretty. But I got 4 this spring (labeled Americana) and the older 2 didn't lay well in the 100+ heathe here in northern California, and none of them are laying now that's it's late fall...

I get it not all first year pullets will lay through the winter, but I certainly figured I'd have at least more then just the 2 bards rocks laying. Only thing I can figure is becuase EE are a mix from a tropical breed of hen that perhaps they just aren't made to do well in my area?

I do have one older this is her second winter, she didn't start laying till this past spring shortly after we got the chicks. She also stopped when the heat got high, and was my first to stop when we started losing sunlight... I can't even imagine that I've gotten more then a few dozen eggs total from her, if that many...
I'm think (from my experience) that it might depend on what merits the previous generations were picked.
hu.gif

The chicks (EEs and OEGB) I bought and hatched last year started laying last November at 5 months and laid right through winter with minimal light. If I remember correctly (I wrote it on this thread earlier on) they got 4-6 hours of light maximum, there's no windows in the coop, it's a single car garage and I pulled the door down, it was so cold.

The chicks I raised from them started laying at 4.5 months, which I found pretty surprising but I'm sure long days of summer light probably helped. The old and new girls laid through summer (not always in the nest boxes...lol), molted this fall and were back laying before I was ready. (I'm still not ready!
tongue.png
) These chicks were from 2 different backyard breeders. I would've just assumed that all EEs lay like that...if I didn't follow this thread. I learn A LOT from this thread.
smile.png

I'm really curious to see how the girls lay once the roosters, guineas and brooder cage get moved out and the light is gone for the chicks.
woot.gif

Right now everyone's locked in together until the stormy weather passes...so I'm sure the girls are a bit stressed.

Sunday - 8 eggs
Monday - 9 eggs
Today -12 eggs
Some of the OEGBs and Silkies are laying eggs behind the brooder cage.
roll.png
And one Silkie is setting on them.
barnie.gif

Friday, Saturday, Sunday

Chicken eggs 7

Monday

Chicken eggs 5

Tuesday

Chicken eggs 5 All the chicken eggs are coming from the chickens that are locked up in the barn #3 (Really it is a three bedroom house with a dig fire place)

Duck egg 1 and it made some nice cup cakes
smile.png

Temp low 60's in the day and low 40 in the middle of the night, yep it is getting cold fast
duc.gif

Back
Top Bottom