How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

These are the eggs our four laying hens layed over the last 5-6 days:

20171203_092843.jpg

Curious your birds lay so early. No light in the coop at 5 AM? My girls don't get up until the sun is up and seeing as their coop is a converted horse stall in an old barn with windows only on the west side, they don't get any direct morning sun so "wake up" time isn't very early.

I have one who has been laying really early, sometimes as early as 4. Sunrise isn’t until 7, and there are no lights in my coop (well, overnight. I have a light but only if I turn it on!).

I appear to have 7/12 laying (they hatched in May). I’m averaging 5-6 eggs per day. Yesterday’s eggs plus one from the day before:

575D3677-8089-43F2-92ED-A7EFB2A5AA2F.jpeg

Nice colors you have there @KWVT :) What breeds do you have (I'm betting on a couple of EEs). And where are you in VT (generally of course!).

Thanks! Yes, two EEs. Also: Silver Laced Wyandotte (2), Gold Laced Wyandotte (2), Dominique (2), Black Australorp (2), Delaware (1), and Barred Rock (1).

Part of me wonders if I should have gotten one or two white layers and maybe a Maran for even more color.

I’m near Stowe.

DW grew up in Stowe within sight of the quad, double and gondola. Her Dad had a spotting scope in the living room so he could check the ski conditions before heading up. The farthest she's ever lived from there was the years she spent at Dartmouth.

Back
Top Bottom