How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

I got 8 eggs from 10 chickens (and one rooster). That's the best ever so far from my brood, maybe the rooster who arrived 2 weeks ago is making them happy! Normally I get between 5 - 6 eggs per day! Its winter in the Scottish Highlands and we only getting around 8.5 hrs of light per day, I feed my chickens pasta, rice or oatmeal daily as well as the usual layers mash and corn mix for a treat.

They have not slowed down during our cold spells, but I do keep the coop heated, if you can call 34 degrees being "heated."

I do. Other than the usual January thaw and the UNUSUAL second January thaw, my girls haven't seen anything north of 20 F for the last 2 months. It has been -15F several times and below 10F a lot. The girls are happy and healthy and I'm not heating.

I got nine eggs from fourteen BO hens. I just can't seem to break the "nine" factor.

I was stuck with a max of 8 on a couple of occasions and felt the same way. But 10 both yesterday and the day before finally broke that.

8 today, one was a frozen soft shell. I assume it wasn't frozen when it came out since the girl isn't one of Axoa's special Snow Chickens
wink.png

20 from our 23 BSL's yesterday. These new Gals are laying machines! Looks like it's going to warm up to the 50's for the next few days here in central NC. Now that the days are getting a bit longer I'm able to get home and give them about an hour of free-range time outside the run before it gets dark.

Can't wait for spring. The garden has been cleaned out and I put down straw over all the boxes. Today I'm going by Southern States Co-op to pick up some cabbage, collards, brussell sprouts, etc. and have them ready to go in some of the boxes in about two weeks. Maybe sooner. Come on, Spring!!!

We got 11 out of a total of 47 but 41 of them are just now old enough to lay and everyday there numbers are increasing, it's so cool! And it's really been cold here, more snow predicted tonight.

5 out of 6...My Rachel is laying again she stopped for a little over 2 wks. Been letting her out of her yard to run with the flock and she has laid 3 days in a row now. My reward for her freedom.

Today I'm going by Southern States Co-op to pick up some cabbage, collards, brussell sprouts, etc. and have them ready to go in some of the boxes in about two weeks.

We'll be planting in 2 or 3 months as well... Oh, you said WEEKS. Keep it to yourself.
lau.gif

5 eggs today, the girls are slacking.

Bruce

Sorry, but I've been to Vermont in the Winter and it's no fun, unless of course you ski or just like to freeze your $%*# off. But I've also been there in July and August and that's a lot better than NC frying them off. But we should be able to put out cold hardy plants later this month and start to harvest them before the bugs get here in May and June. Last year we planted a whole flat of Chinese cabbage and ate it all spring long. Teresa even put up a large crock of spicy sauerkraut which we still have a couple of pints of. Good stuff.

But on to business: We got 19 big brown ones today from our 23 BSL's. The Gals are doing good, real good.

I'm in Kansas City, and I went ahead and started my tomatoes, peppers, broccoli, kale, spinach, romaine, beets, turnips (indoors) on monday. (New garden isn't ready for planting just yet...)

Ahem, yes... the business...

7 Pullets, 4 Laying, 1 on Hiatus (molting) and 1 not started yet.
3 eggs today.

Back
Top Bottom