How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

How do you keep the mice away?

Mice??? Funny you mentioned that, I never had "Mickey Mouse" in our coop till last May. Oh boy we had mice (fam of 8 in the food storage side) took me 2 wks to get rid of them. They made a home in the insulation in between the walls was nasty pee & feces smell had to tear it all. I have traps inside the doors and outside the doors filled the area with fresh mint every day from my wife's herb garden. So far mice free for now.

Now mites are controlled by DE and all natural poultry protector spray by Manna Pro. Used straws in the run to control mud when we had rain few months ago brought mites, so I only use sand and pine shavings.

Only one.. Our hen's are getting old, but our duck's are usually 3-4 a day.

Then you find the surprise egg's.. Hiding under a feed bag.. Sneaky girl's

Mice??? Funny you mentioned that, I never had "Mickey Mouse" in our coop till last May. Oh boy we had mice (fam of 8 in the food storage side) took me 2 wks to get rid of them. They made a home in the insulation in between the walls was nasty pee & feces smell had to tear it all. I have traps inside the doors and outside the doors filled the area with fresh mint every day from my wife's herb garden. So far mice free for now.

Now mites are controlled by DE and all natural poultry protector spray by Manna Pro. Used straws in the run to control mud when we had rain few months ago brought mites, so I only use sand and pine shavings.

Our Muscovy"s would eat them.. Well & our cat

I have a raised coop and shut all openings at sunset. I use 1/4 hardware cloth over vents and have a hanging feeder in the coop. And a led night light is on all night.
My chickens are carnivores, they would eat a mouse. Two days ago I was in their pen looking around and I noticed a young toad about the size of a large grape with arms and legs. Two chickens checked it out and must have had a not so tasty experience with toads in the past. A third hen saw that toad and it was swallowed in two seconds, yummy. GC

Egg count is down, molt has begun. Tails are falling off the EE hens. Blue Cochins are close to starting blowing feathers, get the rake out! POOF!

Back
Top Bottom