How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

2 today..one from Bossy and one from Goldi. Jade was sitting on them yet again.

Attachments

• IMG_5014.jpeg
    IMG_5014.jpeg
    604.9 KB · Views: 0
Hey everyone!! I have a rescued WILD mallard with angel wing who is almost 8 months old. No mate, but plenty of attention. She has been laying eggs. She did a first set of 14.Took those. Then a few days alter, she has a total of 17 as of today?! This doesn't seem normal? She's acting fine though! She has a slight bumblebfoot from an attempted lading on some rocks, but otherwise, her demeanor is good and spoiled! Eggs are strong and healthy as well. She eats Pruina Duck feed, grazes all day as well, and has a few mealworm treats and fresh water all the time. We have been removing the eggs and ruffling the nest spots. Please let me know if this is the right thing to do so she doesn't remain broody or laying? Wrong food? Still need to supplement calcium anyway? Or just let her sit on them? Seems like a lot of eggs for a first clutch ( and just a wild mallard in general?)! I've read so much info of taking the eggs to stop broodiness, but is this the case where I need to stop taking them? Thanks!!

Last edited:
Hey everyone!! I have a rescued WILD mallard with angel wing who is almost 8 months old. No mate, but plenty of attention. She has been laying eggs. She did a first set of 14.Took those. Then a few days alter, she has a total of 17 as of today?! This doesn't seem normal? She's acting fine though! She has a slight bumblebfoot from an attempted lading on some rocks, but otherwise, her demeanor is good and spoiled! Eggs are strong and healthy as well. She eats Pruina Duck feed, grazes all day as well, and has a few mealworm treats and fresh water all the time. We have been removing the eggs and ruffling the nest spots. Please let me know if this is the right thing to do so she doesn't remain broody or laying? Wrong food? Still need to supplement calcium anyway? Or just let her sit on them? Seems like a lot of eggs for a first clutch ( and just a wild mallard in general?)! I've read so much info of taking the eggs to stop broodiness, but is this the case where I need to stop taking them? Thanks!!
I am not familiar with ducks but with chickens I have never had luck breaking a broody. These days I just knuckle under and give them chicks to raise 😊

And wow that’s a lot of eggs! Again I am not familiar with how many eggs a duck lays - seems amazing though.

I wonder if posting on this forum will get you some better answers:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/chicken-behaviors-and-egglaying.18/

Good luck! Maybe let us know…?

Back
Top Bottom