How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

I got 2 again today. Seems I get 2 one day, then 5 the next. I think it's from 6 birds, as neither EEer has laid yet. I did get to see some different ones in the nesting box today, usually I just see the same two in there, somehow.

twelve eggs out of sixteen chickens!
celebrate.gif

Three .... and a half????

Got home at bird bedtime, their light should have been on another 15 minutes so I guess I screwed up the auto on/off button when I turned it on yesterday. They were all on the roosts and I opened the door to give them some scratch. Figured I would check the nest box after. As I was clearing shavings from a couple of places I saw 2 eggs near the trough under the waterer pipe. I spread the scratch and went to get those eggs and noticed another egg under the top front roost and Yue still sitting on it facing away. VERY unusual for any of them not to run for food. She was acting kind of odd and never did lay an egg the day before. So I was thinking she might drop one right there even though she has ALWAYS laid in the box before. Well don't you know, she moves around some and out drops an egg! Great I think, FOUR but as I bent down in the not great light to pick it up, I see it is shell-less.
sad.png
Poor girl, must have put too much into the large double yolker 2 days prior. At least all the other girls were busy eating so they didn't see, no need to be embarrassed
hugs.gif

So NONE in the box and best I can tell based on the size and color:
- Peep laid her third small Cubalaya egg
- Fay laid her FIRST real small Cubalaya egg
- Echo laid her FIRST Australorp egg. It was about the medium size the Anconas have generally been laying.

So I now have 6 confirmed layers.
big_smile.png

Bruce

Just one egg yesterday from my 25 old ladies. I am looking forward to my 26 young ones getting old enough to lay. That won't happen till about March. Guess I am stuck buying eggs till spring. My young birds are Barred Rock, White Rock, Golden Lace Ws, and Buff Brahamas. What I am missing is some EEs. They have some at the feed store and I have an empty 8' x 8' "room" that I could rename (storage room to coop). Then I would have room for some EEs. I am thinking another 10 would give me an even 3 dozen young birds.

Just one egg yesterday from my 25 old ladies.

Out of curiosity, how old is old? And what breed(s)? Since I am new to chickens, I am trying to figure out the "if you want a continuous supply of eggs, expect them to lay from the age of (in my case 22+ weeks) to xx years" "time to order more chicks" plan. I do understand they taper off as they age, though I don't know what age that would be. It might be somewhat determined by breed but I don't know.

Bruce

Back
Top Bottom