How many eggs in a day?!

DKRickey

Chirping
10 Years
Jan 6, 2011
I've got six (6) female chickens (hatched Aug 2, 2010) the two Red Stars (Clarabelle and Anabelle) started laying their first eggs in the second week of December- rather surprising as we're dang cold (freezing temps) here in rural northern CA and I wasn't really expecting any eggs until spring when the weather was warmer. The other four are Easter Eggers; "Pearl" started laying pink eggs a few weeks ago, followed by "Cleo" laying turquoise-green eggs. About every couple days or so, we get an extra green egg... is Cleo particularly egg-laying-happy or would one of the other two Easter Egger girls (Grace and Esther) be laying too? They (Grace and Esther) don't seem to be demonstrating "motherly tendancies" like the others, and we're away from the house during the day to see who's laying when... All six of our girls are particularly social and LOVE to follow us around and tolerate being picked up and petted (with an occasional wing-clipping as needed)... they even like to come in the house quite un-abashedly (is that a word?) if/when they can before we chase them out... too bad they're not house trained!

They make chicken diapers you know!! You could keep them in the house if you wanted to. Even if, for only an hour. As for the extra egg, I bet you have another one laying. A chicken can only lay one egg every 24 hours give or take..

With an 18 mo-old in diapers, that's enough diapers for me!
tongue.png

If they're on the tile, not so much of an issue...
smile.png

As this is the second green egg in 4-days, I'm starting to guess we've got another layer, just don't know who! And atop of it all, we're in the freezing dead of winter, when chickens don't generally lay anyway... God works in wonderous ways!

Back
Top Bottom