How many eggs will she lay before she decides to sit on the eggs ?

IrishBoy

Songster
10 Years
Aug 3, 2009
just wonderiing what will the size of her clutch of eggs be before or IF she decides to sit on the eggs. She laid her second egg today and has begun to use the old crate i put in .

I'm wondering the same thing. I'll have to keep an eye on this thread.
caf.gif
pop.gif

Are you leaving the eggs in there to entice her to sit? I've been toying with the idea of leaving the eggs in with my girls to encourage them.

Quote:
Well i have bedded the crate with straw and left one egg in there .. and marked it.

My wild hens will lay a full clutch of 12 to 14 eggs before setting. I'm not exactly sure of domestics, but I guess it would be about the same.

yes I have wilds and domestics, both will lay 10-15 per clutch, tricks pull them everyday and incubate and for the most part you;ll get an egg a day right on, unless you just want them to go broody. Word of caution, they are very protective setter and at times will jump on your head if you mess with her eggs at this point, got the scares to prove it!

If my hens would get their act in gear, I would love to let them go broody. Let them each hatch a clutch and be done with it for the season. The rest of the season's eggs would be breakfast, yum!

Unfortunately we have other breeding issues going on so that's not in the cards for me right now.

most all my hens (49) will get broody with 6 eggs or more! its there job to stay healthy and breed and lay me a ton of eggs! most my hens lay 90 egg a season its un real!!! then I take over hatching ,brooding and rearing !!! tom!

Back
Top Bottom