How many goats do you own?

Beejay

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jul 4, 2007
New Brunswick, Canada
We finally got our first goat a registered Alpine, she spent all night with us around the fire because she seemed so lonelly in her paddock.

Should we get another one?

Do most people keep just one goat?

Thanks

Goats are very social animals. They really (I can't stress the 'really' part of that enough) need to have a goat friend or they can not only get into trouble (from boredom) but literally have health issues. Some people are able to put them with another animal (horse, sheep) and the goats seem to do Ok.

I just really think that they need another goat as they really know how to play with each other the best.

The more the merrier. They just love each other. I have a doe and a wether and the doe and two babies. That four all together.

I have 8 - 6 does 2 bucklings
big_smile.png

Yes its very important to get her a freind fast...that is why she is lonely...if its possible to get her a freind from where you got her I would do that as she already knows them but if not a wether or another doe would be good.
I think all in all I have almost 50 goats counting babies and still have 4 does to kid out this year...so the total will climb...If you lived closer to me I would let you have a wether ...

Get more. Goats are social animals. I'm looking for 2-3 goats right now. I'm having a hard time finding some good dairy goats.
sad.png

You really need 2 of any animals, simply for their welfare. The only ones I can think of which are regularly kept as singles are guardian animals like llamas or donkeys.

Oh.... milking 3 does, have 4 bucklings on the ground who need sold, 1 buck and 1 wether (we just have him to keep the buck happy, since he spends a majority of the year away from the laydeez).

Back
Top Bottom