How many greens do chickens need

Ha I picked up over 100, gourds , squash and pumpkins after Halloween... posted on a neighborhood FB sale sight that if anyone wanted to 'recycle " them I would pick up.. just threw them in the poultry yard in the shade..Lasted until spring and only 1 rotted... got a few bales of straw too

That's pure unadulterated genius. :)
Ha I picked up over 100, gourds , squash and pumpkins after Halloween... posted on a neighborhood FB sale sight that if anyone wanted to 'recycle " them I would pick up.. just threw them in the poultry yard in the shade..Lasted until spring and only 1 rotted... got a few bales of straw too

The only greens my girls get are grass, clover, dandelions, and whatever weeds that makes up half of my 1 acre lawn that they forage 2 hours before sunset daily, weather permitting.
They dine on the greens for about 5 minutes, then they rush to the edge of woods to dig up grubs, worms and salamanders in the leaves, 20170512_192303.jpg and then chase grasshoppers and frogs. Then eat some more greens before roosting. What a life. GC

The only greens my girls get are grass, clover, dandelions, and whatever weeds that makes up half of my 1 acre lawn that they forage 2 hours before sunset daily, weather permitting.
They dine on the greens for about 5 minutes, then they rush to the edge of woods to dig up grubs, worms and salamanders in the leaves,View attachment 1127247 and then chase grasshoppers and frogs. Then eat some more greens before roosting. What a life. GC
I don't have 1 acre lawn:hit I only have a small backyard. My chickens love dandelions. In winder, I would pick dandelions for them. But now, there is nothing outside. It is too dry here.
i have to buy greens, fruits and worms for them. There is nothing in my yard!:hit

I don't have 1 acre lawn:hit I only have a small backyard. My chickens love dandelions. In winder, I would pick dandelions for them. But now, there is nothing outside. It is too dry here.
i have to buy greens, fruits and worms for them. There is nothing in my yard!:hit
Wow, so sorry. We were in a drought for the past two years, but nothing compared to you out west, we still had greenery.
This year we erased the drought, and it's so green, that it's virtually the only color. 20170810_102155.jpg . I hope you get the monsoon rains this year. GC

I go to my local produce stand and get what they're going to trash. Last week I picked up two boxes of tomatoes destined for the dumpster. I was shocked at what they were tossing, I canned 10 qts and fed the rest to the girls.

Back
Top Bottom