how many hens in a 8 x 8 foot coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by caliclucker, May 2, 2011.

1. caliclucker

caliclucker Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2011
    I have 6 RIRs now but want to enlarge my flock. I have a 8 x 8 foot coop with a very large yard (approx. 24' x 32'). I know I have enough room in the yard to add more hens but was wondering how many hens will roost and lay comfortably in my coop.

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    If you are letting them out every morning then you could quite comfortably have 16 birds to a 8X8 coop. With that many you'll want 2 roost same height. If you coop them up a lot or plan to keep them cooped this winter then 6-7.

Rule of thumb for happy chooks:
    4 sqft/ bird coop if they have 10 sqft/ bird of run.

3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I think of the 4/10 rule of thumb more as a minimum guideline. You'll never be sorry to have more space than that. The higher the stocking density inside a given area, the more work there'll be for the chicken keeper.

4. Doopy

Doopy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA

5. latebloomer

latebloomer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    green mountain state
    depends on the climate

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Depends on the climate; also depends on your goals (ranging from "keeping them alive for a couple years" to "avoiding really-high risks of cannibalism" to "happy relaxed chickens")

A good all purpose answer would, quite seriously no foolin', be: "as few as you can manage to content yourself with".

Good luck, have fun,

Pat, having done 4 sq ft per hen indoors (plus ample run) and up to 15+ sq ft per hen indoors (plus ample run), and having SEEN how differently they behave with the larger amount of space, would never do less than 10 and I generally do 15 sq ft plus run. And no, that isn't because of my climate, I'm comparing their behavior in the *summer*.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by