How many nest boxes??

Greencastle

In the Brooder
Jun 25, 2016
I have 6 Marans pullets, how many nest boxes should I make for them? Thank you for your answer answers in advance. U guys are great!

One of mine are 3 foot off the ground and the other is about 3 1/2 foot. There are roosts near by that some use to get up, others just fly up. A roost bar in front of them helps for getting in and out.

Keep in mind that the roost should be higher than the nests.....or they will roost (sleep) in nests and poop in them.
My nests are about 2' off the floor easy for me the reach and worked well with my roost height of about 3'.
I put fake eggs in all the nests to help 'spread the love'.....or they all want to lay in the same nest, sometimes at the same time-haha.

Here's my theory on the 'stack up' aspect to coop design:
Bottom of pop door is best about 8" above floor so bedding doesn't get dragged out of coop.
Nice to have bottom of nests about 18" above bedding to allow use of that floor space under them(doesn't count if your nests are mounted on outside of coop).
Roosts are best about 12" higher than nests so birds won't roost(sleep) in nests and poop in them, if you use poop boards under roosts it will also 'stretch' your floor space.
Upper venting works best as high as possible above roosts so no strong drafts hit roosts in winter...and hot/moist air and ammonia can rise and exit coop.

Thank you for all of that advice. I better go get some lumber soon. I had chickens 25 years ago and methods have changed since then. I have more than enough floor space I think. My girls are use to a run but I would like them free range. I get wire to make a temporary run tomorrow. So far, accept for them not wanting any greens, they have been easy. Have you had Marans and when did they start laying if you did?

Well, there are many ways to 'do chickens'......
.....just sharing my thoughts on what has worked for me, sprinkled with advice on common recurring problems I see on the forums.

I have not had Marans....would love to have some from a good breeder and maybe will some day.
Have seen several opinions on their POL timing.....some lines of pure breeds may not lay until 8-9-10 months old.
Hatchery Marans often lay much younger, depending on their parentage.

Back
Top Bottom