How many nesting boxes are suitable for this amount of birds?

The only thing I have noticed and would love to see if anyone else has as well?
My girls always buddy up and it appears they choose their boxes (and used number of nests) per buddy numbers over actual hen numbers. So if I have 3 hens that all like and flock together? They'll all use the same box. But if I have several groups of two "hen buddy's" who don't like the others or a beta hen that runs solo? They'll split into multiple laying spots.
As an example.
My flock last summer I had 5 hens and 4 boxes yet two hens (buddies) still persisted in using a spot on the ground behind some cover. I think there is absolutely no hard fast rule. My buddies always lay in the same shared nests, whether or not I have one box per hen or 1 box per 4 hens.

I currently have 3 hens and 3 nesting boxes. 1 is recovering from worms and still isn’t laying yet and the other 2 lay in seperate nesting boxes. However, I have 10 ISA brown chicks still in the brooder who are around 6 weeks (I know it’s time for them to start going out but I’m postponing it for a week when I come back from vacation so I can monitor them when outside) and I’m going to give away or eat 3 of those chicks so I’m going to have 10 hens total. ( my 3 current hens + 7 isa browns ) but we are wondering how many nesting boxes we need to have… because isa browns lay everyday and If I have 7 I’m going to need over 7 nesting boxes. I was thinking of just adding 3 more nesting boxes so in total I would have 6 because my current hens are easter eggers and usually lay every other day. Is 6 nesting boxes enough?
I have tons of nesting boxes and 15 hens, and all but 2 of them lay in the same nesting box. Sometimes they sit on each other! Go figure...

Love your slanting board, clever. I have a piece of hardware cloth stapled up, but love your look. Will try to find those hinges, great look. Looks like you can open it up to clean. I had trouble with mice building nests there when it was a permanent cover, but hinges would solve that. What is the black paint on the bottom of your 2by 4's
The hinges are just gate hinges from Home Depot, cheap but effective.

The nest box is fully removable for cleaning. The top is hinged to the wall (which also provides stability and holds the nests firmly in place), and I have a hook on the windowsill above that holds up the lid for easy access/maintenance. The rest of the box is a free standing, separate piece and can be pulled away from the wall for a thorough cleaning if needed.

coop3.jpg

The black paint is Black Jack 57, which is a rubberized paint-on treatment. I have the wood floor sealed with it for easy cleaning and waterproofing.

The only thing I have noticed and would love to see if anyone else has as well?
My girls always buddy up and it appears they choose their boxes (and used number of nests) per buddy numbers over actual hen numbers. So if I have 3 hens that all like and flock together? They'll all use the same box. But if I have several groups of two "hen buddy's" who don't like the others or a beta hen that runs solo? They'll split into multiple laying spots.
As an example.
My flock last summer I had 5 hens and 4 boxes yet two hens (buddies) still persisted in using a spot on the ground behind some cover. I think there is absolutely no hard fast rule. My buddies always lay in the same shared nests, whether or not I have one box per hen or 1 box per 4 hens.
Mines only did That once, when they were really stressed lol. It was so weird to see 2 hens share a small nesting box

Mines only did That once, when they were really stressed lol. It was so weird to see 2 hens share a small nesting box
How about a waiting line? I watched once as one hen, I'll call her Alpha hen, got the nest first, her close buddy joined her, the next hen buddy sat on a perch near the nest box clucking and mumbling (Maybe saying Hurry up?} and two more settled near by in the shade. As soon as Alpha laid her egg she left the nest and the next buddy took her place (while beta was still sitting) beta laid her egg and it appeared that one of the two waiting hens moved in. By then I was done cleaning so I left the area, but I found 6 eggs in the box later.

How about a waiting line? I watched once as one hen, I'll call her Alpha hen, got the nest first, her close buddy joined her, the next hen buddy sat on a perch near the nest box clucking and mumbling (Maybe saying Hurry up?} and two more settled near by in the shade. As soon as Alpha laid her egg she left the nest and the next buddy took her place (while beta was still sitting) beta laid her egg and it appeared that one of the two waiting hens moved in. By then I was done cleaning so I left the area, but I found 6 eggs in the box later.
That's the cheer squad waiting on Alpha to finish her solo performance. Then the understudy gets a brief part for herself, before it returns to the team performance. If it was a girl band, that would be the guitar and drum solos

I currently have 3 hens and 3 nesting boxes. 1 is recovering from worms and still isn’t laying yet and the other 2 lay in seperate nesting boxes. However, I have 10 ISA brown chicks still in the brooder who are around 6 weeks (I know it’s time for them to start going out but I’m postponing it for a week when I come back from vacation so I can monitor them when outside) and I’m going to give away or eat 3 of those chicks so I’m going to have 10 hens total. ( my 3 current hens + 7 isa browns ) but we are wondering how many nesting boxes we need to have… because isa browns lay everyday and If I have 7 I’m going to need over 7 nesting boxes. I was thinking of just adding 3 more nesting boxes so in total I would have 6 because my current hens are easter eggers and usually lay every other day. Is 6 nesting boxes enough?
You only need ONE, one nesting box--no matter HOW many chickens in your flock! OMG WHY DO MY 9 ALL PILE INTO JUST ONE BOX??? You can't even see them all in there in this photo. It's like a clown car! There are 3 more in there than you can see. Don't worry--this was early construction of the new coop--the insulated walls are fully covered. I didn't know that insulation board wasn't recommended in coops until AFTER I spent $300 and several hours of installation! UG

Attachments

• 1597551531745.jpg
    1597551531745.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 9
I have 4 nesting boxes for 13 ladies. They favor 3 of the boxes most of the time and I get anywhere from 9-11 eggs a day right now.

I have multiple large and small wire egg baskets. During hatching time, when my chickens are separated. I have mainly small baskets labeled by breed and color of chickens. During the rest of the year. I just take as many large baskets as necessary to carry all the eggs for the day.

Back
Top Bottom