How many nesting boxes should i keep for 30 hens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by can you hear me now?, Jun 30, 2008.

1. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    I am working up to 30 hens(I hope to sell eggs). I just want to make sure my girls have the right amount of boxes to lay eggs in. Also does anyone know what I will need to do to get a license to sell my eggs?I want to make sure I have everything I need so nobody hassles me about the whole thing.

2. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    I think the rule is 1 nesting box for every 4 hens. So, if you have 30 hens you would want to have 8 boxes. Keeping in mind that they just might all want to share the same nest. It is very funny to see 2 squeeze in at the same time. People on here seem to want to add more chickens (not sure why [​IMG] hehe) so you might want to start with more or maybe have room to expand.

3. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    lol that is the best thing i have heard all day. Without knowing a thing about it that is how many i made for the coop i fashioned last year.[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Awesome! I love it when I do the right thing without even knowing it! Great job! Good luck with your chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by