How many nesting boxes should i keep for 30 hens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by can you hear me now?, Jun 30, 2008.

1. I am working up to 30 hens(I hope to sell eggs). I just want to make sure my girls have the right amount of boxes to lay eggs in. Also does anyone know what I will need to do to get a license to sell my eggs?I want to make sure I have everything I need so nobody hassles me about the whole thing.

2. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Songster

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    I think the rule is 1 nesting box for every 4 hens. So, if you have 30 hens you would want to have 8 boxes. Keeping in mind that they just might all want to share the same nest. It is very funny to see 2 squeeze in at the same time. People on here seem to want to add more chickens (not sure why [​IMG] hehe) so you might want to start with more or maybe have room to expand.

3. lol that is the best thing i have heard all day. Without knowing a thing about it that is how many i made for the coop i fashioned last year.[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Songster

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Awesome! I love it when I do the right thing without even knowing it! Great job! Good luck with your chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: