How many nests?

They say you should have one nesting box for every three hens......Now, I don't know who made up that rule because it seems to me that all nine of my hens have a favorite nest box and will wait in line for it! haha......That was when we only had two. We installed a four hole nest box, and now they don't seem to all run to the same nest box anymore......

OH! WELCOME TO BYC!
welcome-byc.gif

Yup, I find 6 or 8 eggs in one or two nest boxes. For 12 you should supposedly build 3, as someone already said, but I'd probably build 2. Sometimes mine have different preferences, some want open tops, some open fronts, so you could add an open bin of some sort later if you have trouble with them laying outside the nest. Mine also lay in corners of the coops now and then. I just put a plastic bin there.

Thanks. I am just getting all my information and want to start up hopefully this year.
I have almost 4 acres and look to start out with maybe 6 to 12 hens. I don't even know if I need a roaster?
I have several books on chickens and am looking at getting chicken raising for dummies today.
I have done a lot of reading, but still have cold feet and so many questions. LOL;)

I had only 5 for 20 chickens and they all like different ones so i would say 3-5 . Thats my opinion ! GOOD LUCK!
big_smile.png

I think the ladies have 32 or so for the big girls. They use 4 at most. If the broody queen is in one, 3 others get used. They'll wait happily in line for a turn at the favored nests. They are all the exact same, same nest box, same curtains, same hay....

looking at getting chicken raising for dummies today.

chickens are very easy -- that book maybe too simple if you have read any other,, just broos at BYC and you will more than any book, plus people will answer your questions...

hens don't need a rooster - unless you want to hatch...

you don't need any nests they will lay in the corner - nests should give you cleaner eggs...

have fun

Back
Top Bottom