How many of you are experiencing a drop in egg production?

day #6 still no eggs...
hmm.png

This week I have noticed that some days now the egg production is almost half what it normally is. I think it is the light. It is dark so early now and is not fully day until after 8 am. Also it has been raining a bit more and cloudy. I did not think since this is the first season for my hens that they would slow so much. Oh well, I still love them......gloria Jean

me too 1 to 3 eggs a day from 11 girls!
When does it start to pick up again??? I know they need to finish their molt, and the days are short, so do they lay again as the days lengthen in January?
idunno.gif

From the Pacific Northwest, mine will lay 10 one day and 6 the next. I don't know if it has to do with less light on real cloudy days or not. What I do notice is that my young ones that had not already been laying, are not starting. Some are 25 weeks and no eggs. Earlier in the year it seems they were starting between 18 and 22 weeks.

The usual slowdown from older hens, no drop at all from the young ones so far. As long as I can keep adding a few hens a year, I'll have eggs ... until I'm up to my neck in chickens.

"Are these eggs pasteurized?"
"No, I'm only up to my neck in them. If they were past my eyes I'd give you an extra dozen."

I have 4 hens. Egg laying quit 2 days ago and prior to that they went from 3-4 a day to 2-3 a day then just 1 a day. This morning when I let them out the inside of the coop suddenly has feathers on the floor. Please Please tell me my silly birds are not molting in November in Colorado. It would be my luck to end up with a bunch of naked birds during the winter:/

Last edited:
I no sooner posted when I heard egg song coming from the backyard. I got all excited went out to check and....NOTHING. Chickens are evil.

since mine started laying in late august I've gotten 4 eggs everyday from four hens except two days with three eggs. The sun is setting pretty early by now but they keep going strong.

Back
Top Bottom