How many of you have your chicks in your house?

My six bantam cochins got moved outside a week ago, I kept them in the house until they were 3 weeks old. They were moved out into Coop #2 which in currently a work in progress. Then on Thursday I fell in love with chick at the feed store & he/she and the friend I picked out are currently in the house. I thought you were suppose to keep chicks in the house (where else would they go?).

I have raised several batches of quail and chickens in the house. Of course by the time they are ready to go outside, I am ALSO ready for them to go out!!
lol.png
But it makes it a lot easier to keep an eye on them for not only heat reasons, but health reasons. And as has been said here, it makes for good socializing with humans all the better.
smile.png

We have 5 in the house at the moment, they are three 10 days old and two 2 days old - plus 7 eggs in the incubator due to go into lock down on Tuesday and 2 more fuzz butts coming on April 20-22. They'll be with us for at least another 5 weeks for the older ones and obviously longer for the younger ones until they are fully feathered and it warms up enough here for them to go into the outside brooder area. It's still getting into the 30's at night and only upper 40's, lower 50's in the day. We'll introduce them to the rest of the flock around 12-15 weeks, but they will see each other before that. Plus they will out number the older flock of 3. This is going to be interesting!

I have a 3x4 foot wooden box with 4 four week olds and 3 one week olds next to my couch. On the end table next to that, I have a cardboard box with 6 one to three day olds in it. I plan to keep them in the house til I'm good and ready to part playing with them.
love.gif
Or until they get stinky....
sickbyc.gif
Now, my hubby on the other hand, is
barnie.gif
about me keeping them in the house.... or so he says, but I see him checking on them fairly often....
yippiechickie.gif

Quote:
Yah. What Kanseseq said!

Mine has been Brooder Central for the past 9 months. I now just tell my friends about the babies in the Nursery, or say, excuse me, I have to go to the Nursery, instead of referring to it as the bathroom any more. There was a break of about five months, from April to August last year, when I didn't have any chicks in brooders in there, but that was before I got into incubating and hatching eggs. The guest room is now the Incubator Room.

Not have chicks in the house? Even with a ginormous brooder in the shed, the first few weeks always start in the Bath...... errr Nursery.

Yup. Mine will be in the bathroom as soon as they outgrow their rubbermaid tub....which won't be long now at this rate. My BO is already figuring out how to fly up to the edge when I have the cover off......they grow up so fast
hit.gif
love.gif

Last edited:
Well, DH calls the little place we built, a cabin. I call it a cottage. Thus, it must be a CABBAGE!
roll.png

And despite my pleading, we built it before we built a garage/shop/barn so Yep! They're in my cabbage laundry 'closet' and will stay there until they're about 4 weeks old. We're having a strange winter and not sure we've had our last frost. Having jumped into this thing, I'm not risking losing them at this point!

84860_100_0462.jpg

SO... Are mom and friends outnumbered yet?!?!?
woot.gif
Doesn't seem much different than having a couple parakeets or budgies in the house, is it really?

Back
Top Bottom