How many people eat there chickens on this form

I love my birds!!! My family and my dogs but as the crazy old lady on the movie stone mountain said everything has a job, I only eat the roos, and I only have names for 2! I now have 11 due to hatchings and in a month plan to stock my freezer with 8 of them. I believe in God, all things have a spirit and If I raise them I know what goes in them and that they are well cared for and happy right up to the time of their demise, very unlike the birds that are sold in the local store.

To each their own, God Bless:love
The Roo on my avatar was mean and aggressive. attacked me all the time, I ate him.

Last edited:
This is a thought provoking thread and I don't mean to keep posting too much, but I think the reason I don't consider eating my chickens is also because it is simply too easy to find alternatives at the store where pre-dressed birds are inexpensive. I do not like the factory farming option and in that light I see slaughtering my own chickens as a good solution. On the other hand, if I eat meat, I can buy chicken that is said to be humanely raised.
Finally, I only have 4 hens that are producing. They are more valuable to me alive than dead as is the rooster if his services were needed.I have thus far avoided those situations where I would have extra roosters since I have had any broody hens. I can buy hens and not worry about what to do with the roosters, but someone is making that decision and I am a part of it through not choosing to take roosters.
No doubt I will have more comments to make.
Good discussion, but still haven't really heard from those who say they never will and why.

i dont eat mine but i know people who do
sad.png

Good discussion, but still haven't really heard from those who say they never will and why.

Me neither...I wonder why? Is it because their reasoning lacks true conviction or they just never really thought about just why they feel that way?​

Because of the urbanization of our society, we lost the close ties to our food supply. Food became neatly packaged, anonymous slabs of flesh in an antiseptic grocery store environment. It is pre-packaged, perfectly presented, and hygienic to our senses. All that you could possibly want in a future meal- clean, tidy, no muss, no fuss.

The same cannot be said for raising your own meat. First there is the raising of said meat which is an investment of time, money, and resources. All through the raising is the process of getting to know the animals while caring for them until they reach processing age/size. Then comes the inevitable day of processing where you have to cut short the lives you have been responsible for up to this point. And then, let's face it- processing your own meat is a nasty, messy, stinky job that takes a certain amount of fortitude to accomplish. If you were not raised around processing, it is a tough thing to take on later in life. A lot of people simply can't do it. Add into that the "pet" factor and you end up with folks who think of their birds more as extended family members than as potential food on the table. There is nothing wrong with this line of thought. It is in fact perfectly understandable...considering our society. Does it make sense? I don't think so, but then again, I eat all my culls.

I have a flock for meat, which is just birds that I maintain for 9 weeks until they become processing age. They get the best care they can get, but their life is destined to end at 9 weeks old. No names and no special care. And then I have a couple laying flocks that I keep for eggs and eye candy. These birds get names after their trial period of the first year. They get extra care and special attention. Essentially these birds are given a chance at having a long time with us. As long as they have a purpose then they have a life, and the purpose does not necessarily have to be as layers. (I have a nearly 5 y.o.GLW that barely lays, but she is a good broody, a good alpha hen and a gorgeous piece of living yard art, so she has a purpose.) As soon as birds stop serving a purpose then they are culled and eaten by our family. Then, they continued to be useful until the end. I have not the space or resources to keep useless animals aside from my 2 dogs. I wish that I could, but I cannot. Everyone living at our house must contribute in one way or another.

We mostly eat vegetarian, meat or fish only occasionally, and started with our little flock for eggs. They are bantams, who lay small eggs infrequently, so we now keep them primarily as entertainment and cheep therapy, with some egg protein thrown into the mix sometimes. We have only eaten kosher meat and chicken over the years for our religious reasons, but actually have stopped eating what little chicken we used to, as we have learned more about how commercial birds are raised. I don't like to support inhumane practices, and I am not certain that even kosher birds have the treatment I would expect for any animal.

My DH would cull any birds we had who were sick or injured, as he has killed and prepared many animals for food in his life (from chickens to cows). I don't know if I could actually eat one of my own chickens, though. First, I think I am too emotionally attached to them as pets. Second, they wouldn't be killed in a kosher way (special technique must be used, by a person who is specifically trained), but I guess as in all things, it would depend on the situation.

Then comes the inevitable day of processing where you have to cut short the lives you have been responsible for up to this point. And then, let's face it- processing your own meat is a nasty, messy, stinky job that takes a certain amount of fortitude to accomplish.

CMV--I think this says it all.

I have enjoyed reading this post...i grew up on a small farm we ate calves we raised ,hogs, chickens , rabbits....and wild game we killed...to me if you research the things that are in the food you buy in the store ...see how they are raised...see how they are processed...you would feel that to humanly raise and kill and process your birds would not only respect the birds..but show respect for you and your family ..you are what you eat..americans are killing themselves one bite at a time with the food supply we have at present...i love my animals but God put them here for our use...which includes food....good luck to everyone who starts changing the way we think about our food supply...locally grown is better for you better for the enviroment than store bought with very few exceptions.....but the downside is it does cost more to produce it......the upside is to change our food supply to a healthy diet ...we could elimate cancer heat disease diabetes....how expensive are they? just a few of my thoughts...great thread..

Quote:
Not necessarily. Depends on how you define "close". My dog is a companion animal. He's also a working animal (he just doesn't realize it
smile.png
) His job is to hang around and discourage predators, and point, get up and fetch pheasants for us. He comes in when it's cold out and gets lots of petting and attention. I guess I'd consider that being "close" to my dog. No, I wouldn't eat him. Why? Because here in the US dogs aren't traditionally raised for meat. But what if I lived in a culture where they were? It's altogether possible that I would because it would be how I was raised. I would look at that dog as a source of food first, possibly a companion second. Hmm, something to consider, isn't it? In the US, chickens have been traditionally a source of food, whether for eggs or meat. Am I "close" to my chickens? I suppose. I feed them, I enjoy watching their antics, I care for them as best I can. Because I'm concerned about their safety, DH spent lots of time and money helping me (er, I helped HIM) build a good, sturdy coop and fairly secure run for when they're not freeranging. But because I've been raised in a culture where it's common to eat chickens, I don't have any qualms about it. I can't say that I "miss" them when they're gone, but that's because I usually have more to take their place. They are not a source of companionship for me. I don't pet them, they don't hang out at the house wtih me. They get fed, watered, let out in the morning and put back up at night. I don't get attached, so to speak, because I know I'm going to butcher them some day. If I raised my dog for the same purpose, I'd do like I do with my chickens - enjoy him while I've got him, knowing the day will come that he will die at my hand and provide sustinance for me in the form of meat.

thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom