How many people eat there chickens on this form

We raise CornishX for meat, and I also process any extras that don't sell first- Silkies included. They all live a spoiled, happy, healthy life and they're humanely culled. I feel good about how they live and how they die. I think it's also good for my kids, they know where their meat comes from and they are actually really helpful when plucking time comes up.

Quote:
It is the kill that is the hard part. You have done that already, even if in different circumstance, but you are all set to do it for you and your family. Good luck in your future harvests!

Sourland eats/has eaten home raised : geese, ducks, pheasants, guinea fowl, chickens, pigeons and rabbits.

His parents raised and ate the above and : pigs, sheep, cattle.

He has no interest in eating cats, dogs, and horses - not sure why on the horses.
idunno.gif

Name your pets not your food. All animals were raised humanely and treated with respect.

Quote:
I've actually eaten horse, in Italy. Tasted like beef. I really wish that it was more normal in the States to eat them.
Objections for eating horse? 'They're too intelligent' so are pigs 'They have so much personality' so do every other type of livestock, especially chickens! Silly to me....

Also, sourland, I name each and every one of my chickens, and would eat every single one.
big_smile.png
But that's just the way I am. I like to eat my pets....
hu.gif

Quote:
Good for him! We need more people like this, instead of those that seem to think they have to NOT have a relationship with an animal--or worse, to HATE it--in order to eat it (as if killing and eating a rooster is only appropriate as a punishment for the rooster misbehaving, which I think is in a way kind of sick--although I admit, I've gotten pretty mad at some aggressive roos myself before
smile.png
... or as if eating an older hen is somehow "punishment" for her not giving any eggs... which is similarly kind of perverted, I think.)

I keep dual-purpose myself, and eat the culls, which include mainly young roosters and old hens, but not because I'm "punishing" them by sending them to their "execution," or because I believe that God put animals on earth to serve me as I please, but for the simple and humble reason that I'm a creature who (like all creatures) needs to eat other living things to survive, and I'm selecting for a productive and healthy flock of content and healthy birds that will meet my family's needs (meat, eggs, and fertilizer) in a somewhat practical and enjoyable way. I don't keep hens long after they stop laying well, but not because I am not grateful to them for all they have given me (which I am, more than any Vegan will ever know
smile.png
), but because hens can live for at least several years after laying declines and I can't afford to keep feeding dozens of birds who aren't giving eggs and whose aged state is negatively influencing the health of the flock as a whole by encouraging disease and lowering hatchability of eggs, etc. It makes no sense in my circumstances and isn't practical--or even particularly humane. And I don't keep excessive roosters (remember, every hatch includes EQUAL numbers of male and female) because keeping a flock penned together with one rooster for every hen is a noise nuisance, a horrible stress on the hens, cruel to the roosters themselves, and really downright unnatural--not to mention, once again, a needless waste of feed money for a small farm trying to keep outside expenses down.

I too love my chickens, although I still think of them and understand them as birds and not people or pets, so we have a kind of mutually respectful and peaceful predator/prey type relationship. Some people have a hell of time understanding this simple relationship though, which is really kind of sad.

I don't mean to bad-mouth anyone in particular, because generally everyone has good intentions and they gotta do what they gotta do. And I respect people who choose to eat their chickens and people who choose not too, because either way that is their own business and their own choice, and people and their circumstances vary greatly. However, I also truly believe that there are good reasons and bad reasons to do both...

Often now, I tell people that I eat my own chickens BECAUSE I love and care about them very much, and I consider their reaction to this statement as a sort of litmus test...
smile.png
Some people get it, many don't... Oh well...

Last edited:
err no i do not eat my chickens, and i dont like it how people do it when they stop laying because it is just using them.

Quote:
Do you like Campbell's Chicken soup or any canned beef soup from the store? Those meats are usually from retired battery hens and milk cows. Someone used them and fed the animal to you as added profit.

Actually ANY animal you have eaten in your lifetime is being USED for something~be it for your Big Mac, your belt or wallet, or your shoes. Using animals is just what humans do and I can guarantee that some time in your life you have used an animal also.

Determining to NOT use YOUR particular animals for anything other than eggs~which is using them as well~is really just splitting hairs about the definition of using.

Hypocritical, at best.

Back
Top Bottom