How many people eat there chickens on this form

For what it is worth, I would never chase down a bird with a meat cleaver. I walk up and pick up the bird, place her in a canvas cone (which calms her) and then quickly and quietly remove her head. I then hang her upside down with a hook in the bottom of the cone. The only thing that is heard is the slight thud from an EXTREMELY sharp knife. There is no struggle, there is no running or chasing, and the other birds have absolutely no idea what is happening behind the curtain. To do or think otherwise is simply unreasonable. I then take them to the processor up the road. It is very dignified, very quiet and VERY respectful as it should be. We act in a similar manor with our cows. It took us three or four tries to find a processor who was humane and treated the animals with the respect they have earned and deserve. He keeps them very calm, had no sudden movements and is very quiet.

Not trying to be up on a soap box, but this is one of those things that is very important to us, and there are a lot of misconceptions out there probably brought on by a few disgusting, disrespectful scum bags.

For what it is worth, I would never chase down a bird with a meat cleaver

Yes...the very line of text reveals the wisdom~or lack thereof~ of the author. An over dramatization to make a dig at those who kill and consume their chickens, I believe.​

Quote:
Yes...the very line of text reveals the wisdom~or lack thereof~ of the author. An over dramatization to make a dig at those who kill and consume their chickens, I believe.

There are times I have been tempted to throw one at them though...
wink.png

I don't know....I don't know that I've ever been that frustrated with my chickens. We tend to have a very peaceful co-existence and walk in harmony for most of the time. I think they seem very satisfied with their life of free ranging, going to bed when they wish, rising and going out to forage when they wish, always having enough food and clean, cold water, having shade in the summer, cool grass and dusting spots galore, warm and cozy digs in the winter, no fear of predators, etc.

Who could ask for more?
smile.png

I keep my birds for eggs and entertainment. I am a coward and while I can afford to, I will let someone else do the deed for me by going to the store. However, I believe that if necessity called, I would eat my chickens.
I recall a story from a woman whose husband had many animals that they ate. Whenever he came home all the animals ran to see him and he loved them. She asked him how he could love the animals and then kill them and he told her that regardless of their purpose they deserved love and respect. That story struck me because I thought that he had a big heart that he could love his animals instead of detaching from them to protect himself.

Quote:
I had a little situation where I was adding ventilation and had a pile of screws next to me to attach the hardware cloth. It was a tight place to maneuver and the little devils kept running up steeling them from me and running off. Then they would put them down out in the yard and run back again. I probably could have made 10k if there was a video. I didn't realize at the time I was the focus of chicken keep away... My wife thought it was funny though. I easily have three flat tires out there that I could not find.

My kids call me Ace Ventura!
big_smile.png
When I walked in the back yard all the chickens, the sheep, the dogs, the cows and the cats would all follow me. If I sat down, they would arrange themselves around me and try to see who could get closest.

Yes, the very woman who slits chicken's throats right in front of the other birds is their favorite person in the yard....you see, chickens do not have the level of cognitive reasoning that would lead them to fear me and fear their own deaths by my hand.

Raising animals for food is not mutually exclusive to loving and caring for them. Most of the joy of keeping them is in that special relationship...that bond of interdependence. Any good farmer cares for and loves their animals deeply, has a certain bond and relationship with them and repects them very well.

I really don't get where folks come up with the idea that, in order to show love for your animals, you must turn them into pets for life and try to eek every minute of that life out of them before you can be considered truly compassionate.

I spend a lot of thought, effort, passion into my animal husbandry and care deeply for the animals that are under my care....so deeply that I would not disrespect them by letting their flesh go to waste. When someone has a pet that dies, they bury it, cry and move on to a new pet.

When I kill and eat my chickens, that flesh is a symbol of my hard work and respect for that animal and I would not willingly have it wasted. My body and the body of my children are nourished by that animal and it completes the circle of the love that was given, both to the animal and to my family.

Back
Top Bottom