How many to set? (Duck Meat Plans)

This has nothing to do with cooking & eating but what did you do with the antlers?
Well, my dog loved chewing antlers, but my friend is an avid hunter, and what his family can't eat, he gives to his friends or donates to the local homeless shelter. He gifted us about 20 lbs of ground meat, several roasts, and my boyfriend helped butcher a deer for a neighbor so they gave us one of the backstraps. He doesn't hunt at all. I haven't hunted since I was a child, but like you, I'm hoping to get my license soon and start hunting!

How often do you actually use a whole bird? My biggest mistake was thinking I'd use five humongous whole chickens and freezing them whole! They were the LAST to be used, and I had to force myself to do it. You have to plan out thawing them, set aside the time to cook them, etc.. If you really feel set on keeping them whole, and if you managed to cook one weekly, you'd need 12 for three months, although I feel most families would wind up not using a whole one weekly due to the commitment and having other unexpected things pop up.
Since we haven't had duck yet we use whole chicken a lot actually and since fall is coming up, we'll be using them a lot more. I'd say we use them twice a week during the colder months as we mostly use them for soup and roast any others while using the leftover meat for other dinners.

Since we haven't had duck yet we use whole chicken a lot actually and since fall is coming up, we'll be using them a lot more. I'd say we use them twice a week during the colder months as we mostly use them for soup and roast any others while using the leftover meat for other dinners.
Awesome! I just wanted to make sure! In my case I grossly miscalculated my need for whole birds.

So have you eaten much duck at all? Out of curiosity?

Well, my dog loved chewing antlers, but my friend is an avid hunter, and what his family can't eat, he gives to his friends or donates to the local homeless shelter. He gifted us about 20 lbs of ground meat, several roasts, and my boyfriend helped butcher a deer for a neighbor so they gave us one of the backstraps. He doesn't hunt at all. I haven't hunted since I was a child, but like you, I'm hoping to get my license soon and start hunting!
I've been doing a whole lot of research on what I need to do the right way so that I don't end up making a mistake.
I'm hoping to go hunting a few times after we move so that I can help with providing food.

My mom isn't too happy about the fact that I want to get what I need to hunt bear for food. I mean I'd be using the meat for food, the fur pelt for something, the claws and turning them into necklaces, and whatever else for something. As long as I'm using the whole bear, there isn't anything wrong with that, right?

I've been doing a whole lot of research on what I need to do the right way so that I don't end up making a mistake.
I'm hoping to go hunting a few times after we move so that I can help with providing food.

My mom isn't too happy about the fact that I want to get what I need to hunt bear for food. I mean I'd be using the meat for food, the fur pelt for something, the claws and turning them into necklaces, and whatever else for something. As long as I'm using the whole bear, there isn't anything wrong with that, right?
I don't see anything wrong with it. I haven't had bear since I was little, but I've heard not everyone likes the taste. We had a bear attack our chickens though so I'd happily make a bear pelt lol.

Awesome! I just wanted to make sure! In my case I grossly miscalculated my need for whole birds.

So have you eaten much duck at all? Out of curiosity?
My brothers and I haven't had duck at all yet. My parents have though.
I've been reading and watching videos on how to cook duck. Although I'd take tips from anyone that has any?

To get started on answering how many you would need to put back for at least 3 months, how many people in your household would be eating the ducks? How many days of the week would you consider making duck for dinner?

You also have to consider things like when you incubate, you may not get a 100% hatch rate, and out of the ones that do hatch, the ratio will be different every time with how many males and females you get. I would at least try for 50-50, usually it isn't like that, but statistically it supposedly is!

Back
Top Bottom