How many to set? (Duck Meat Plans)

KikiDeAnime

Spooky
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
Planning ahead!

My plan is to keep all males for meat while I sell the females. All females will be sold around laying age so that buyers don't miss out on getting the first eggs.
I'm currently in the process of getting 2 good sized incubators.

What's a good number of eggs to set to get enough males to keep? I want enough to last us at least 3 months with duck meat(if that makes any sense)

Also, please do NOT suggest any breeds for meat. I have my mind set on what I want.

For my family of three, we raised and butchered 20 Cornish Cross which lasted us about 6-7 months. Five were kept whole, and the rest broken down into their respective parts (breast, thigh, whole leg, drumsticks, boneless thigh, tenderloin, wings). We also had some deer meat and fish here and there, as well as some vegetarian meals. Every meal I make makes enough for dinner for three and lunch for three. Does that help give you any reference for how many you need to keep?

For my family of three, we raised and butchered 20 Cornish Cross which lasted us about 6-7 months. Five were kept whole, and the rest broken down into their respective parts (breast, thigh, whole leg, drumsticks, boneless thigh, tenderloin, wings). We also had some deer meat and fish here and there, as well as some vegetarian meals. Every meal I make makes enough for dinner for three and lunch for three. Does that help give you any reference for how many you need to keep?
Yes.

Also, this is off topic from my post but could you tell me more about the deer meat? What was your favorite way to cook it?
I'm currently planning on getting trained to use a gun properly before I get a hunting license. I forgot what type of hunting gun my grandfather left for me but I've been wanting to get what I need to go hunting for deer.

Yes.

Also, this is off topic from my post but could you tell me more about the deer meat? What was your favorite way to cook it?
I'm currently planning on getting trained to use a gun properly before I get a hunting license. I forgot what type of hunting gun my grandfather left for me but I've been wanting to get what I need to go hunting for deer.
I mostly have ground deer meat, which I use as I would beef. We have deer meat chili, tacos, stir fry, "Hunter's Pie (instead of Shepherd's pie), various soups. The roasts don't have a lot of fat, and I've only cooked them in an electric pressure cooker. They were tender, but dry and benefited from a flavorful gravy. The tenderloin was the best part. I put a rub on it, pan seared the outside, and finished it off slowly in the oven. I used this recipe: https://www.fieldandstream.com/story/hunting/rules-for-the-greatest-venison-loin-of-your-life/

So once a week for 3 months is 12. Typically hatching yields 50:50, which is 24. I would go to 32 minimum then in case some don't hatch or you get a female heavy hatch. Or if something is off and you don't feel comfortable eating a certain duck due to a deformity (I have a bird that we won't use for meat because we're not 100% sure what happened to his eyes, they're just not right)

I mostly have ground deer meat, which I use as I would beef. We have deer meat chili, tacos, stir fry, "Hunter's Pie (instead of Shepherd's pie), various soups. The roasts don't have a lot of fat, and I've only cooked them in an electric pressure cooker. They were tender, but dry and benefited from a flavorful gravy. The tenderloin was the best part. I put a rub on it, pan seared the outside, and finished it off slowly in the oven. I used this recipe: https://www.fieldandstream.com/story/hunting/rules-for-the-greatest-venison-loin-of-your-life/
This has nothing to do with cooking & eating but what did you do with the antlers?

I plan on doing it once a week to add variety.
Our chest freezer is currently filled completely with different cuts from a cow and we sometimes get a whole chicken or some fish from others.
How often do you actually use a whole bird? My biggest mistake was thinking I'd use five humongous whole chickens and freezing them whole! They were the LAST to be used, and I had to force myself to do it. You have to plan out thawing them, set aside the time to cook them, etc.. If you really feel set on keeping them whole, and if you managed to cook one weekly, you'd need 12 for three months, although I feel most families would wind up not using a whole one weekly due to the commitment and having other unexpected things pop up.

Back
Top Bottom